Emergency Medicine Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • EMA is a great company to work for (in 8 reviews)

• The company supports loyalty and rewards/recognizes your hard work and accomplishments (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There really are no cons that i have come across so far (in 6 reviews)

• Salary not really based on education or experience for non clinical staff (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exceptional Place To Work"

Pros

There is a transparent, cohesive culture at EMA that makes working there extremely professionally rewarding. Although this is a dynamic, expanding organization--it tripled its number of ER contracts in the past 9 years--it truly feels like a "family" with the hallmarks being respect for one another, close communication and collaboration and a real genuine "esprit de corps". The CEO, in particular, needs to be recognized as a gifted listener, a great communicator and a person who truly cares about everyone in the organization--and is fiercely committed to every employee fully realizing their potential. She is truly an extraordinary individual and likely one of the finest healthcare executives in the country.

Cons

This is not a place to 'punch a clock' or spend a good part of your workday complaing about this or that. There is a can-do proactive spirit around this place and if you don't come aboard with that attitude, you won't fit in at all. The culture is to seek solutions, not to pause and complain about friction points and roadblocks.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing; this is simply an extraordinary workplace!

Aug 29, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

I love your "can-do" attitude. You are right, we are problem solvers, not complainers. We appreciate people who bring solutions to the table. That's why we are so successful. Please let me know if... More

"Best job!"

Current Employee - PAYMENTS in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - PAYMENTS in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Emergency Medicine Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This could be a long list but to name just a few:
    - The people: Couldn't find a company as family friendly and like my 2nd family!
    - Work: Challenging and rewarding! I haven't had a job like this one for a long time where I enjoy coming to work and to learn more.
    - Benefits: I can't tell you how much this has helped me and my family. EMA provides wonderful benefits where others do not come as close.
    - Willing to hire outside: I've had a couple of people seeking employment and when I suggested them to EMA, EMA was totally accommodating to at least interview!

Cons

Not very many. I think the only thing I can see improvement would be a reevaluation of the snow day policies and PTO. I totally understand if it wouldn't change though.

Advice to Management

It shows how much you care for your employees that people are willing to push for you to be one of the 'top companies to work for.' =)

Aug 26, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. I genuinely appreciate hearing from our employees. I know the snow policy is challenging. Since we are truly a 24/7/365 business, we feel it's... More

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Pros

I really feel valued as an employee here at EMA. The company promotes a positive work environment and my direct management team are wonderful to work with, helping me to achieve our department goals.

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time

Aug 26, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

I am so glad you feel how much we value our employees. We truly do! Thanks for taking the time to tell us! Wendy

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Germantown, MD

Pros

I've been with EMA for 34 years & keep postponing my retirement due to the excellent management & my great co-workers. Excellent place to work, very family oriented. Management actually listens to issues you're discussing! My coffee cup says "do what you like. Like what you do." That says it all!

Cons

Can't come up with anything

Aug 29, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We are so glad you are still here! It says a lot when an employee would rather come to work everyday than retire! Thanks for letting us know! Wendy

5. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Billing Support Specialist in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Billing Support Specialist in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Emergency Medicine Associates (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for this company for the past 3 years and I love it here. The company truly cares for their employees and their wellbeing. I hope to be with this company for the reminder of my career.

Cons

I honestly can’t think of any.

Aug 29, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing! We hope that you are here for the remainder of your career too! Thanks, Wendy

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Emergency Medicine Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Great coworkers
    When the economy was crashing, the company kept growing
    The CEO is very accessible!

Cons

Work from home opportunity is limited to some PMST departments and not ALL departments. We could expand this to all the departments, and wouldn't have to miss work whenever a storm hits the area and we can't come into the office, thus increasing our workload in a short period of time to get it done.

Advice to Management

1) It would be ideal to move to a digital/electronic record keeping process in the PMST side. There should not be a need for file cabinets in the hallway/offices (potential fire hazard). Electronic copies would be easier, and faster, to access instead of looking through a file cabinet. In this aspect, we are in 2016 working in a 1980's pace.
    2) This is just a personal observation - There is some "disparity" in events that take place between the clinical side and PMST side. I think most PMST members are content that we get to have luncheons in the office, but they do not compare to clinicians having scavenger hunts in limos, going on cooking classes or sail boating experiences, etc. I can understand the financial reason, and why we have a gala, but at the same time it gives the illusion that there is a preference to the clinical side vs PMST side (i.e. one kid gets a steak, while the other gets eggs and ham).

Aug 29, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We will certainly consider your suggestions. Feel free to attend the next CEO Listening Lunch and bring your ideas directly to the table! Thanks, Wendy

7. "First job out of residency, and only job I hope to ever have in my career."

Current Employee - Emergency Medicine Physician in Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Emergency Medicine Physician in Westminster, MD

Pros

Jacqueline Pollock is an amazing CEO. Under her leadership we have grown and remain very successful. At the same time she truly cares about each of her employees. She makes herself available to everyone. The only way I could ever imagine leaving this wonderful company, is to follow her.

Cons

There were some cons a few years ago. They no longer exist after they were brought to the attention of our CEO and President. These changes came quick which illustrates the commitment EMA leadership has to its employees.

Advice to Management

Jackie Pollock and Donald Infeld should never be allowed to retire!!

Aug 29, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We hope that Jackie and Dr. Infeld stay as long as possible too! They are both phenomenal leaders who have framed our workplace culture. A great workplace is even better when you have fabulous... More

"Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine"

Current Employee - Chairman in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Chairman in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Emergency Medicine Associates full-time

Pros

EMA listens to their employees.

EMA has excellent benefits.

EMA seems to really care about individual employees and takes the time to customize the approach and resolution to the employee's issues.

Cons

The clinical schedule is demanding but consistently fair.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Aug 25, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for taking time to give us some feedback! We believe that listening and reacting to our employees is a critical component in our success. Please let me know if I can assist you in any way... More

"Physician"

Current Employee - Emergency Physician in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Emergency Physician in Reston, VA

I have been working at Emergency Medicine Associates full-time

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salary. Has a large footprint of contracts in DMV area which allows flexibility in location sites to work at. Stability of contracts. Excellent administrative assistance for clinicians.

Cons

On call shifts are required and schedules need to be released earlier. No holiday/weekend pay incentives.

Advice to Management

Maintain focus on quality of life and work satisfaction for staff.

Aug 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with some feedback. On call is a necessary part of the ED model. We are always trying to release schedules earlier, your site scheduler should be able to... More

"EMA is an Excellent Choice!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Emergency Medicine Associates (More than a year)

Pros

EMA has a friendly atmosphere where employees across the spectrum are focused on team work and reaching the practice's goals. It's hard to find anyone who isn't heavily invested in the success of their respective teams, or the company as a whole. I have an awesome manager who is accessible and encourages personal and professional growth. Flexibility is the name of the game, so expect to be challenged in a good way.

There's not much to dislike about EMA.

Cons

- Sometimes there are comfort issues temperature-wise, since the office is in an older building.

- It's a small office space, so it can get noisy.

- The office never closes, so inclement weather can cause you to use leave time if you don't make up for the hours.

Advice to Management

Consider a more employee-focused inclement weather policy.

Aug 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback! Hopefully you are able to work from home in inclement weather. If you aren't equipped for that now, ask your supervisor if it's possible. Many of our administrative... More