Emergent BioSolutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Emergent BioSolutions President & CEO Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi
Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are outstanding and there is a strategic plan in place that will grow the company (in 8 reviews)

• Good culture, good benefits, great experience builder (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance still needs work (in 16 reviews)

• which is likely why there aren't many women in senior management roles (in 12 reviews)

"Business"

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time

Pros

The benefit package is nice. There are some great people who work for the organization. Opportunities for development. Workplace flexibility.

Cons

Completely siloed between functions and locations. Lack of strategy. Senior leadership devoid of scientific knowledge. There is an overwhelming box checking mind-set. Political landscape is a venomous snake pit.

Advice to Management

Quit the politics! You have real talent and ingenuity in the company. Listen to your employees. You say they are empowered but you don't back it up by actually empowering them. You are hurting good people and morale is tanking fast.

"Very Negative Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people who work here are very passionate and work hard to try and make a difference. Salaries and bonuses are generous.

Cons

Overall, the company doesn't seem to know what it wants to be--biotech, big pharma, defense, government contractor, commercial? Due to the confusion at the top, the employees don't know what the priorities are and there's a major culture of feeling unempowered at ever level. Decisions are never made at the appropriate levels. They're just escalated up and delayed indefinitely.

There's also a woman problem. Incompetent men are promoted; smart women are fired, pushed out, or "let go," and this is brought up and management does nothing about it. It's a boy's club and this can get really old.

The biggest issue is the constant negativity. Morale is terrible and I have no idea what HR is doing to address this, but it's contagious.

Advice to Management

Empower people at every level; decide what kind of company you want to be and COMMUNICATE THAT; take appropriate risks and direct your employees to do the same; encourage innovation and streamlining.

"Scientist"

Former Employee - Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Started to bring in flexitime. Provide free coffee to staff. Good benefits package. Allow 8 hours a year for volunteering. Some training courses are provided. They do have a rewards system.

Cons

Poor leadership and management. Lots of backtracking and lay-offs. Emergent tend to acquire companies all over the place, promise that they'll keep staff and are committed to the projects. Then change their mind and decide it was a bad business decision and they're not committed. Close the site and lay everyone off. Then repeat.
    They also like to punish whistle blowers.
    Don't support projects financially. Heavily reliant on sales of one product.

Advice to Management

Invest properly in developing new products.
    Try and make intelligent and timely strategic decisions.

"Facilities Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Great people to work with and a great purpose!

Cons

Upper Management is really out of touch with the people who do the work.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the people and stop holding truth told to you against them.

"Can confirm previous reviews, environment is toxic and the company is run by arrogant, fragile men."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great. Aside from management, the employees are wonderful. It's a very interesting and unique site. The standard of quality at this manufacturing site is amazing.

Cons

The operations side of the organization is run by the most arrogant, self centered people I have ever met. And if you dare to stand up to them, you will be the next one forced out.... which is likely why there aren't many women in senior management roles. It is a sexist environment and the male managers are threatened by women. I've witnessed this multiple times. This company tolerates the most degrading and offensive behavior, its beyond belief.

Advice to Management

You claim to want to be transparent, but the second someone asked for your rationale behind the selection process for downsizing, you deflect and get very defensive... why is that? Is it because you know some of the decisions were personnel vendettas? And perhaps you knowingly allowed that to happen? The moment Adam Havey passed on the torch as site head, was the moment this company went into the gutter. Very sad to see that happen. Here's to hoping we don't run ourselves into the ground by the end of the year.

"Arrogance and self awareness seldom go hand in hand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Lansing site - good, hard working, committed people

Cons

Relationship issues across sites makes the job unpleasant.

"Be ready to have no life!"

Current Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, exposure to government and projects with impact on public health

Cons

Culture is toxic, lacks diversity (ethnic and gender), bonus sub-par compared to industry, with senior management taking most of the share. Promotions random and leaves you wonder on their logic.

Advice to Management

Change/train 2nd/3rd tier of managers, improve HR communication/problem solving skills and God help you with the split! You're now a pure Bio-defense company with no prospective!

"Good salary, poor management"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company pays well and has good benefits. Coworkers are kind and the overall culture is decent. The work environment is OK.

Cons

Internal politics and management are confusing and ill-defined. The influence of being a government contract organization is so deeply embedded that decisions don't make sense to someone who is used to the free market.

Advice to Management

Ensure a more clear and defined structure with real accountability for decisions.

"It was the best of times and the worst of times"

Former Employee - Assistant Scientist I in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Scientist I in Lansing, MI

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The PTO program is extremely generous. The only downside is that your sick days are included in the overall PTO, but for someone who only had to call in sick 1 day in 4 1/2 years, that worked out in my favor. The bonus program was very generous the years I worked there. The holiday party is very well done and I very much enjoyed it every year. I had one of my best managers in my working career at Emergent. When you are in the right department, working at Emergent is a great place. The people I worked with were the best part of my time there.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are quite a few cons in my opinion. The pay up until recently was severely lacking. The health benefits were getting worse while the premiums increased. Meeting expectations got you a raise that didn't even match the cost of living increase each year. By the time I left, my buying power was severely diminished as health benefits and rent increased faster than my raises. Several times over the years I worked there, I was told by HR that my experience at the company didn't count for anything. This made it a struggle to justify promotions and fair compensation as well as stay motivated to be a top performer. They promote a work life balance, but upper management can be quoted saying that they appreciates the "live to work" attitude that has come to be expected at the company. It was expected that you give up your personal life for the company without much of a thank you in return. I was severely disappointed in the difference between how the manufacturing department is treated compared to other departments on campus. The disconnect between upper management and manufacturing technicians was laughable. An entire blog post dedicated to saying how the manufacturing technicians should be recognized and thanked for the work they do 365/24/7. News flash, you did recognize them (every single one of them) with a monetary award and an acrylic paperweight. The whole culture initiative was a joke. They were definitely trying to move the culture in a positive direction, but were completely missing the mark. In the end, I had to leave the company due to the effect it had on my health.

Advice to Management

Take care of your manufacturing department in Lansing. Not the managers and supervisors, but the actual technicians. Knock it off with the benchmarking nonsense. If you want excellence from your employees, then you probably don't want to just benchmark your compensation. You'll never retain your good employees that way. Avoid paying lip service. Actions speak much louder than words.

"Busy Busy Busy"

Former Employee - Animal Care Tech in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Animal Care Tech in Lansing, MI

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full-time, Work hours, Good Department management

Cons

pay, co-workers
    Always moving no down time. Left work exhausted everyday always felt short staffed.