Emergent BioSolutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Emergent BioSolutions Reviews

Updated July 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are outstanding and there is a strategic plan in place that will grow the company (in 8 reviews)

• Good culture, good benefits, great experience builder (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance still needs work (in 16 reviews)

• which is likely why there aren't many women in senior management roles (in 12 reviews)

"Overall an okay place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people, great benefits and pay.

Cons

Management distrust of their direct reports, failure of management to seek other opinions on matters that affect their reports.

Advice to Management

Get off of the high horse and take your employees opinions seriously!

2. "Great people, good place to work"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management team is smart and has heart

Cons

Commuting in the DMV sucks

Advice to Management

Continue support for work at home hours

3. "Okay to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. There are a lot of smart and hardworking people. The annual bonus is nice. They also offer 401K and stock purchasing options.

Cons

The culture of accountability has come along way, but is not consistent throughout the company or departments. Work-life balance still needs work. Career opportunities seem to only be available to people working in certain departments.

4. "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I can maintain work life balance. Occasionally need to work extra hours.

Cons

Lack of support from management.

"Toxic and Unhealthy Environment"

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are good food choices in the area and some of my colleagues were great to work with.

Cons

The entire Senior Leadership team at the Baltimore manufacturing plant needs to be cleaned out. They are disrespectful, immature, incompetent and do not understand FDA requirements. The facility has undergone too many "fixes" due to the systems being built by immature people who have no idea how to manage and run a facility. Zero projects have succeeded at this plant because education and skillsets by Management is severely lacking. The SLT does not live the core values but preaches them daily as talking points.

Advice to Management

Clean house, starting from the top at this site. Corporate needs to install an all new SLT team or they will continue to fail and be a drainer of financial resources from the organization.

"Living and working for Emergent as an AVA technician"

Former Employee - Technician AVA in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Technician AVA in Lansing, MI

Pros

Challenging work at times. Pay and benefits were great. It was fun to see a young company grow into a teenager. The people were the best. Worked there over 11 years. Lower and mid management were excellent. Not much exposure to upper management. Even though one product was made in Lansing, work was varied enough to keep one's interest each day. If there was a word to describe my Emergent experience it would be 'contentment'. In all the years that I worked there I felt very content from the first day. I was free to be me. I was always encouraged and empowered by peers and management. I went home leaving work at work, knowing that what I did at work mattered to those at work and to customers. Plenty of room to grow and develop. There are so many little things the company does for employees and it is improving. JIt awards, the events like the tailgate, the gifts, apparel, holidays, PTO, Benefits etc. Just keep improving don't stop.

Cons

All jobs have pros and cons. It seems that most in management, are there for the first time with little experience, but are given management training and were promoted from within. Some say toxic. I was never privy to what went on in management, the politics if you will. I only attended two meetings regularly that was the monthly department meetings and tech meetings. While others have opportunities for recognition, those actually doing the work are never included. There is a difference between sitting behind a desk for 8 hours and standing on your feet the whole 12 hour shift. Being there every day(when your're scheduled) and doing the work of making the product has to mean something, every bit as much as those who save the company millions of dollars.

Advice to Management

Communication wasn't totally bad but there is room for improvement. Reward those who keep you in business, I don't mean desk-sitters. Don't hesitate to spend money on upgrading equipment. Keeping antiquated and outdated equipment is no way to improve your product, though it seems like it in the short-run. It is up to you to explain to the FDA why you need something, and tell them how you are going to make it work and then proceed. Do the right thing, and treat your employees fairly.

7. "Manufacturing Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarkston, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarkston, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great comp and people. Growth ppportunities.

Cons

There is always a lot to do with competing priorities.

8. "Lead Technician"

Current Employee - Lead Technician in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Technician in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, good benefits, overall great atmosphere. Employees feel valued. Overtime opportunities. Quick advancement opportunities. Overall Emergent is great company and I have learned a lot in my 5 years there.

Cons

Long 12 hour shifts. Work/Life balance. Lansing location is downsizing, that is why I am looking for different employment opportunities. Not a huge outlook of employment due to the downsizing at the Lansing campus.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward and recognize your top performers. The more your employees feel appreciated and valued the better outcomes you will have. I admire your dedication to quality.

"Facilities Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Great people to work with and a great purpose!

Cons

Upper Management is really out of touch with the people who do the work.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the people and stop holding truth told to you against them.

"Emergent's Lansing Michigan manufacturing site"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions (More than 10 years)

Pros

Emergent is a smaller company with a lot of long term employees. Junior people are often given opportunities to work on large projects. Employment was stable and in fact a lot of career growth was possible through the recession years.

Cons

Emergent's culture is not strong for efficient problem solving at the moment. There is a seeming lack of accountability for inaction in the face of difficult decision that has the potential to paralyze projects.

Advice to Management

Sr. leadership needs to focus on strategy and allow project teams and SMEs to worry about tactics. Emergent is letting way too many minor issues bubble up to the VP level.