Emeritus Senior Living Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
T. Andrew Smith
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is corrupt at Brookdale Bear Creek Colorado Springs (in 13 reviews)

• Change in administration, sometimes long hours (in 8 reviews)

1. "Emeritus"

Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Office in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Office in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good company values, reviews completed on time, recognition of tenure, birthdays, and new employees. Working at the corporate office might be different than at the communities.

Cons

Out of pocket portions were high for health benefits. Wages were not competitive making it hard to keep good people.

"Dietary Director"

Former Employee - Hospitality Manager
    Former Employee - Hospitality Manager

Pros

The residents can be difficult at times, but it can be very rewarding to work with this population. The job can be very satisfying at times.

Cons

The company, whether it is Emeritus or Brookdale, only gives the director less than 5.00 a DAY to feed each residents. This includes all three meals, their guests, the snacks AND the marketing endeavors that are heaped on. The companies are only interested in the bottom line. The upper managers/directors are crooked. There was embezzling, fraudulent time keeping, assigning more work than there is time and I could go on and on. I stayed 4 years, but I was the longest last manager at my establishment. They expect a lot for small salaries and bonuses that they promise....they have to be hounded and reminded and hounded some more. They are not trustworthy or honest... Brookdale is not any better.

Advice to Management

Give the employees some recognition, praise, understanding even empathy. Pay them what is promised. Make sure they get their bonuses. Ensure raises are fair. Give them incentive to stay. I worked upwards from 50 hours a week. I was hourly and was not getting paid to work the extra hours. My employment records were falsified by management for 2 years and they refused to pay me for the back pay. The place is always understaffed. There is not time to train, because we are working managers, so we have a job to do..very frustrating job...

3. "This job has been enjoyable and insightful"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to my home. Somewhat flexible schedule. Has been fun people to work with.

Cons

Change in administration, sometimes long hours

Advice to Management

Show value for employees

"There is a reason Brookdale bought Emeritus and not the other way around."

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has no redeeming values. Its all bait and switch. Its all about the Benjamin's. And its all smoke and mirrors. Our family is committed to take every last dollar our of your families pocket and provide little or no service in exchange.

Cons

They keep moving around the same losers. If you fail here, no problem, we will move you someplace else. Most regional personal are unqualified sycophants just looking to keep there job. The executive directors have a lifespan of less then 18 months. constant turnover of losers. managers have zero say in how best to run there local communities. its a cookie cutter mentality that does not work. The pay is horrendous, the raises are laughable and most employees cannot afford the benefits so emeritus makes out on both ends.

Advice to Management

You suck and most of you will be fired when brookdale takes over. But, don't worry because this industry feeds off the same losers so you will pop up somewhere else. People things wont change unless we get some government regulation going here. lots of money is being spent by families trying to do what's best for there loves ones. They can pay upwards up $6000 per month only to have $5.00 per day food and non-English speaking $9.00 per hour person taking care of there loved one. If you must put your loved one in an assisted living facility go to a non-for-profit community. STAY AWAY FROM FOR PROFIT COMMUNITIES.

"Pay rate of 9 key Managers"

Current Employee - Resident Contract Administration Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Resident Contract Administration Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9 of the top 24 managers as the Seattle Office HQ made a combined total of $14,968,279. Emeritus HQ employs approximately 221 people.

Cons

Even at $50,000 each, the 197 non-top managers only made a combined total of $9,850,000. Most home office employees make less the $20/hr.

Advice to Management

Shedding $2 million from your top 9 would allow you to pay the other 197 employees $10k more a year, making a significant difference in their lives and not touching the company's bottom line.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a very good place to start a career with solid leadership base, and a great atmosphere. Young vibrant employee pool.

Cons

Typically most of the starting salaries are a little lower than industry standards, although this is offset by strong job stability.

8. "Good"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ellensburg, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ellensburg, WA

Pros

The people you work for, the residents!

Cons

Corporate office needs to listen to staff and a lot of problems could have been prevented.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, not just the ED!