Emeritus Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
T. Andrew Smith

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is corrupt at Brookdale Bear Creek Colorado Springs (in 13 reviews)

• Change in administration, sometimes long hours (in 8 reviews)

""it's impossible to feel appreciated working for emeritus, they work you to burn out and do not compensate with salary""

Current Employee - Med Tech in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Med Tech in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

really just for the residents you encounter, they are what keeps me working at this facility

Cons

the pay is not competitive with other facilities in the area, senior management is awful and if you have a problem at work nobody helps you fix it.. being a part of the nursing staff, we have no such thig as team work and are rarely recognized for what we do. also the benefits package is a joke and its impossible to see a raise in pay.

Advice to Management

to take more problems seriously and step up and deal with some of the issues with families that nursing is not qualified to handle such as finances, and also to support staff and honor them.

"This company is just a complete joke!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The residents themselves...they are the only reason I stay dedicated to my job.

The benefits are o.k., at least they are an option as some companies do not even offer this.

Cons

Gee, where do I start. The management definitely does not live by the company's "mission statement" and their bottom line is all about money. Also, cheating employees out of their pay by constantly cutting back everyone's hours for instance, forcing some to take 45 minute breaks is ridiculous and wrong. The management is constantly scrambling to get things done at the last minute and the lack of communication is just unbelievable. I feel like I am going to kindergarten everyday I walk into work.

Advice to Management

If you are going dictate rules and regulations you need to apply the rules to everyone. When you don't enforce rules and it is all talk and speculation it produces employees who could care less about their job.

"If You Have Good Work Ethics, Do Not Apply Here..."

Current Employee - Resident Assistant Third Shift in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant Third Shift in Greenville, SC

Pros

Company will pay benefits to full time employees only... If you bring work ethics prepared to be ignored.

Cons

if you are new to the company and you bring work ethics prepared to be ignored, shunned.

Advice to Management

Please honor your hard-working, loyal employees on 3rd shift. I do not sleep on the job like others and when the hard-working, loyal employee report to management prepare to be taken off the schedule completely without warning. Our elderly citizen's deserve to be respected, loved and honored you do not come to work late nights to sleep and talk on the cell phone. My motto; There is ALWAYS something to do... I was called a fool from my co-worker because I worked so hard on this $9.00 per hour job and was told by her and others "It is Not my job" to do "Extra" stuff... As long as I am on the clock for 8 hours, every job perform is my job because it is for the residence. We Work For Them!!! PERIOD!

"Exploited, taken advantage of, expected to work 7 days per week!"

Former Employee - Community Relations Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Community Relations Director in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They have an excellent national sales director. On paper, things could be great!

Cons

The company micromanages everyone including salaried professionals. They expect you to execute external marketing goals/tasks and stay out of the building to accomplish these goals, however, the internal manager expects you to be in the community all day to do internal community tasks, tours, phone calls, meetings etc. I have never worked for a company that tells you they don't believe in flex time and that your job is a 7 day per week job (after you start working of course, not during the interview!) Rather than focusing on the positive accomplishments and results of their staff, they focus on micromanaging the process. They expect you to complete forms for every phone conversation and document marketing tasks in their database. At the same time, the regional director and VP harp on you for not being out the building most of the day. They underpay their worker bees and overpay their management. Management is constantly sending out self-congratulatory emails to one another yet ignore basic courtesy and respect to their workers. Expect emails 24 hours a day from management including on Christmas! I wish I had never accepted employment here.

Advice to Management

Do some research...micromanagement doesn't work. It may work in the short run for your stockholders but exploited/unhappy workers and high employee turnovers will hurt you in the long run.

"Awful company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, FL

Pros

I worked with some wonderful people and the residents are great!

Cons

Low pay, high staff turn around, terrible benifits! The 'Our Family is Committed to Yours' slogan is a bunch of BS, they don't care if you are sick and need a day off, and they are always cutting hours.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect!

"Very Frustrating dealing with an ED who was dishonest, two faced, and needed to be in Memory Care herself."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA

Pros

The best reasons to work at Emeritus is the residents. I love Seniors and although my hands were tied on many issues, the residents were always appreciative of my efforts. I will miss them greatly!

Cons

Management was dishonest in the interview process about job description, pay scale, hours, and budget constraints. There was no sence of urgency to fix any problems in the community including mechanical issues that were a safety hazzard to our residents. Everything was predicated on a showstring budget even though the residents were paying dearly for services not rendered. Because of lack of discipline in daily processes, our management was always putting out fires, passing the blame to the employees rather than management taking responsibility for bad management.

Advice to Management

Make some surprise visits to this community. When the residents tell you there are problems, don't assume that they are just seniors and do not know what they are talking about. Stop micro-managing your staff. Either you trust them in their positions or you don't. Treat your employees with the same respsect that you would want. Respect is earned not demanded.

"Disappointed with Emeritus"

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Snohomish, WA
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Snohomish, WA

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents and their families.

Cons

-Management and RCD are very unprofessional.
    -Money matters more then the care
    -They have housekeeping, cooks, activities and a maintenance person but expect the caregivers to do it all.Which takes the focus away from the most important thing which is the CARE.
    -Terrible benefits
    -The Dept. Heads seem to be able to do whatever they want and are always talking about a "budget" which worries the residents (again very unprofessional).

Advice to Management

-Spend less time taking breaks and focus on the issues that matter
    -Treat your employees with respect
    -Always always put the interest of the residents FIRST.
    -Replacing Management would help.
    -GOODLUCK.

"No thought or kindness, to the employee's"

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.Great Residents. 2. if your in school and need flexible schedual, it works.

Cons

Extremely low, non-competitive wages. Understaffed. Noc shift gets no true LEGAL break. made to work on their break.

Advice to Management

Pay better, allow for more staffing, And either stop making Noc shift take a unpaid break and just pay them, or at least give them a LEGAL break. A break where they can actually have there break time to themselves, rather than having to work and answer call lights because you only staff bare bones at night and wont let us leave the Dementia floor there for making our "break" work.

"No Heart for their Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Snohomish, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Snohomish, WA

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bldgs. are usually well maintained & staff loves the residents

Cons

Slow months are out of the question. Perform or find another job. Wages for caregivers are below industry standard. Employee lounge is abismal. Corp. is NOT committed to an employee even though we have it in writing that they are. "Our Family is committed to yours." Guidence is weak in kindness, strong in applying blame. It's all about the bottom line and how it looks on Wall Street

Advice to Management

If you don't want someone there, be frank and upfront about it. Don't apply negative pressure to get positive results

"Employee."

Current Employee - Aide in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Aide in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping the elderly and meeting their families.

Cons

Lack of team work!, no communication, little respect for employees, very unpaid. Managers need some sort of training because whenever you go to them to address an issue they blow you off simply telling you to "suck it up". Great management and attitude, nice to know we have people who care working in this industry. I wouldn't recommend anyone to go here.

Advice to Management

Do your job and start taking care of these complaints.