Emerson Human Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tricia Emerson

"Leading edge business transformation organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Emerson Human Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company keeps ahead of the competition in thinking about change management and learning and development. Great camaraderie among the consultants--teaming vs. competing. Smart and fun people. Non-hierarchical. Interesting client work with Fortune 500 companies. Lots of client word of mouth referrals--we're doing it right! Flexible hours as long as not interfering with client outcomes or expectations.

Cons

Smaller firm means fewer benefits. Health insurance costs are higher than with bigger organizations. Minimal company holidays. Smaller project teams, sometimes even solo, may leave people craving a lot of team mates feeling lonely or not well supported.

2. "Interesting work in challenging environment"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Projects across the country doing very interesting work in Fortune 500 companies

Cons

Culture of fear means little or no room to challenge authority

"Watch out for the bus"

Former Employee - Change Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Change Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Staff in the alameda office are amazing and care about doing a good job and helping the consultants out. Unfortunately they are treated horribly by management and seen as second class citizens.

Cons

I feel responsible in making sure that none of my trusted change management professionals come work here for they will loose their sense of professionalism and be miserable for their tenure here.

Three things fundamentally wrong:
    1. They don't pay contractors; instead of honoring contracts they will find excuses and reasons not to pay. Then to make it worse they try to bully you so that you understand they mean business. If you are a contractor for them, you are second class citizen, and they have no problem throwing you under the bus if there is something wrong. They will never throw employees under a client bus, but will
    use contractors. Emerson owes a great deal of money for labor hours and travel expenses while accrued on a project. So if you are a consultant wanting to do change management contract work, don't come here if you want to get paid on time or at all.

2. Poor client management and communication. A lot of folks who are in management roles come from former big 5 consulting firms and have an arrogance problem. In particular a lot of the managers can't really do the work, they can talk about it and come in and give advice, but when push comes to shove they can't deliver. Management also fails miserably on the account management side. When I asked for help trying to manage a sensitive issue with a client I got lip service that they would, but when it came to having the conversation, they were too timid and couldn't have it. Thus the client taking advantage of the situation and contractors were thrown under the bus to save face and a client relationship.

3. CEO, the CEO has lost touch with the company. The CEO has perceived great ideas, but can't ever follow through on them. The management team tries hard to implement the ideas but the ideas change quickly and new ideas are thought of. Leaving no time for adoption or effective implementation. Kind of ironic for a change management consulting firm, don't you think?

Advice to Management

It's not the talent your are brining in, it's the talent that you call a management. You don't know how to lead, you are great subject matter experts who know a lot, but can't lead or manage or do the work.

Quit throwing your consultants under the bus for decisions and lack of leading on your part.

4. "Greatest place to work!"

Current Employee - Practice Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Practice Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Emerson Human Capital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Emerson hires brilliant, hilarious, good-hearted, hard-working, down-to-earth people. Employees trip over themselves to give credit to their team mates so you never have to be tortured listening to people toot their own horn. I think everyone feels a strong sense of loyalty to Emerson because we own our careers. I remember once an employee said, "We are all CEOs." It made us all laugh because we knew what she meant. We all feel: free, empowered to succeed, respected, and like the sky is the limit. It's fun being part of an organization that has grown so quickly and is considered the best change management company in the country. It always feels like we are leading the way. At the consulting company where I used to work, people hired change management consultants as an after thought but, at Emerson, our clients hire us because they are looking for seasoned change management experts. Emerson is a great place to work; the people are amazing and our clients love us.

Cons

It is sometimes hard working virtually. It can be challenging keeping up with the fast growth.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting standards high.

"Best company ever"

Current Employee - Client Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emerson Human Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some of the smartest people i know and the most fun i have ever had at a job.

Cons

most of us are remote, so don't see each other every day, but that makes company meetings even better.

"I enjoyed my time with Emerson and grew professionally and personally from the experience."

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Emerson Human Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, Work from anywhere, Great L&D Opportunities, Exciting and challenging projects, Lots of smart and fun employees/people!

Cons

Get ready to work your tail off, Benefits are not great (small company), It's difficult to feel valued or connected to the company and culture.

Advice to Management

Find ways to help your employees feel valued and appreciated.

"Great collegiate environment"

I worked at Emerson Human Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Visionary leader, Committed team. Good work/life balance. Constantly inventing new tools and services. Several collaborative books have been published by ASTD. Excellent client list.

Cons

Salary levels are largely uncompetitive, particularly in the Bay Area, though opportunities for bonuses do exist.

"In A Short Time, Discovered Many Inconsistencies"

I worked at Emerson Human Capital full-time

Pros

The team members at Emerson are fantastic - very welcoming, intelligent, and fun to work with.

Cons

Emerson positions itself as a human capital consulting firm and is trying to grow as a company by enrolling its employees to suggest new ideas. However, while managers try to be supportive, at the end of the day the CEO is not interested in pursuing new ideas. She is more interested in consultants acting as consultants, not as business owners. It's very confusing to the management because they have to present a face that is encouraging of business innovation but at the same time encourage people to do what has always worked.

Because of the misalignment, working at Emerson is more like hiring Tata than a Deloitte. Projects are more rote work and less as a business owner. There is a clear feeling of hierarchy and those who are lower on the totem pole have a hesitance to share ideas because they don't know if they "belong" in the conversation.

Today, Emerson is not a place to work if you are a strategic thinker that acts like the company you work for is a business you own.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk - if you want Emerson to be seen as strategic, allow your employees to be strategic, which inherently means take risks - not just parrot the CEO's ideas.

For the CEO - Don't give an inconsistent message to those one level down from you. If they hear you want to invest in strategic innovation, they find it, and then you aren't actually interested in exploring opportunities, it's confusing. If you want to protect your business, have you be the only true leader in the company that is empowered to act as a business owner, and have others only work on what is routine and has worked well, then say that and don't confuse people.

9. "A great company for many"

I worked at Emerson Human Capital full-time

Pros

Emerson is likely an excellent choice if the following describe you:

-You are entering with at least 10 years L&D/Change Management/Comms experience
    -You are considering one of the many Consultant roles that allow you to work mostly remotely
    -You are content with your salary offer

If this is you, join Emerson. The people are generally smart and fun to work with, the work is interesting, and you'll love the flexibility.

Cons

Be wary of joining EHC if the following describe your situation:

-You have fewer than 10 years experience in L&D/Change/Comms
    -You are recruited to join the Technology and Change Line of Business
    -You are considering a role that is in some way new for the company
    -You are being recruited under a title or program resembling 'Analyst' or 'CDP'
    -There is an expectation that you will generally work in an office or travel frequently (if you're OK with this, another company will compensate you better in a similar role)
    -You are only OK with your compensation when factoring in bonus or raises discussed in your compensation conversation

Advice to Management

Be aware that Emerson is a very small company. Invest in and respect all employees. Build trust and encourage transparency in decision-making. When making important decisions, slow down and be sure that you can be proud of both the decisions you reach and the way you arrive at them.

"Great people, great place to work"

I have been working at Emerson Human Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is great to wake up every morning to work with great people. CEO is a visionary and a great leader.

Cons

Rapid growth results in more work for the backend office.