Emerson Reviews in Racine, WI | Glassdoor

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr
David N. Farr
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance of management seems tedious, but everybody is having a good time (in 41 reviews)

• Very few women or minorities in upper management (in 33 reviews)

1. "Some like it. Some don't"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at Emerson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has competitive wages. Job security. Solid benefits, including profit sharing. Overtime is almost always available. Advancement opportunities. Paid breaks.

Cons

Currently (Mar 2016) working mandatory overtime 3 of 4 weekends a month with no sign of slowing down. Many employees with high seniority so its hard to get on a preferred shift. Fixed pay scale so you don't really get rewarded for hard work. Tobacco free campus.

2. "Behind the times"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at Emerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to home, health clinic on site is nice although the insurance is very expensive, cafeteria on site, employee discounts

Cons

Benefits are very expensive, little vacation, you have to wait five years to be fully vested for profit sharing, everyone gets same amount of raise.

Advice to Management

It'll be hard to attract millennials if you don't change with the times

3. "Lacks Direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at Emerson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits and a fairly stable company. Work and life balance is good. New senior management within the last few years; many updates to organization and processes are in the works.

Cons

Takes twice as long to do almost anything since infrastructure and processes are so outdated. Many projects never make it to production, way more than the average, due to poor management and planning. Little to no development of employees.

Advice to Management

Must ensure all managers have continuous improvement written in their goals. Promote more managers with higher technical ability and sensibility.

"Less than average compensation!"

Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at Emerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, mature company, very profitable. Good benefits.

Cons

Less then average compensation, no diversity in people.
    Highly influenced by corporate. HR is out of touch.

Advice to Management

More involvement with middle class management and employees In general. Develop career advancement program. Increase compensation and autonomy for employees.

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

Pros

Good company; team environment, friendly people, good leadership and communication. Enjoyed the time I spent working there. Had opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Vacation policy could be improved.

7. "I was their Digital Marketing/Graphic Design Intern and my over all experience was wonderful."

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Racine, WI

Pros

One of the pros working here was how friendly and helpful everyone was. The interview process was comfortable and I felt like I was talking to a friend about my experience in the past and what I have to offer.

Cons

One of the negative things for me was the distance and how far I had to drive.

8. "A very fun and enjoyable place to find friends and learn about new products"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Racine, WI

I have been working at Emerson full-time

Pros

You have the ability to work on any machine that you want to try. If you ask to work on a machine you will be given the chance to do so. Everyone is kind and will help you when you need it or just ask and they will do what they can. InSinkErator has great benefits and the company does so much extra for you it is a fun environment to be in.

Cons

You are able to bump shifts if you have sonority, so when you start here on first shift. You could be bumped to third shift and there is nothing you can do about it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"I think it is terrible how they look to get rid of people, I know the guy who had my job before got let go for no reason"

Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Racine, WI

Pros

I feel they have a good training program. They make sure you are worth what they pay you. Which all around helps everyone.

Cons

If management doesn't like you, no matter why, you are gone. The guy who had my job last got let go for no reason at all. showed up to work one day and found out that was it, another guy has been her 20yrs and got demoted to assy. small parts now. They will do what they have to to get rid of you. My boss is a good guy, and the guy I replaced told me that as well. But if you want to work here you better fit into the click.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to the employees some times. Sometimes they don't work to par, they go from great to bad, sometimes there are things going on in their lives as well. Some go to war and come home and have to lean to deal with life again, just as an example.

10. "Great benefits but must take your career path into your own hands."

Former Employee - Engineering in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Engineering in Racine, WI

Pros

Excellent benefits. In most areas there is room for advancement. Tuition reimbursement, profit sharing, 401k. 12 holidays, 2 weeks vacation.

Cons

In certain positions and classifications there is no room to advance. Also in certain classifications you only get the minimum 3% yearly pay increase, no performance compensation. Does not promote excellence in performance if the other employees can do a minimum and get paid the same.

Advice to Management

More focus on employee's career track. Employees can stagnate in positions, especially inbetween classifications like factory non-exempt, which get no quarterly raises like factory (who also get the yearly cost of living) and office which get raises based on their performance.

Showing 9 of 1,912 reviews