Emerson Reviews | Glassdoor

David N. Farr

1,874 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance of management seems tedious, but everybody is having a good time (in 42 reviews)

• Very few women or minorities in upper management (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Finance Manager / Controller"

Current Employee - Controller in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Controller in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Emerson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Executives have a keen understanding of their markets, effectively communicating their vision and strategy to the business units. Outstanding leadership from the VP and GM level. They challenge and inspire their teams.

Cons

There are no Cons working at Emerson.

Emerson Response

Aug 4, 2017 – Global Talent Acquistion Team

Hello, and thanks for sharing your feedback! We work hard to help our executives and all managers understand the importance of effective communication in the workplace, and our goal is to do all that... More

"Great place to learn the trade - but not my first choice to make a long term career at."

Current Employee - Embedded Design Engineer in Marshalltown, IA
    Current Employee - Embedded Design Engineer in Marshalltown, IA

Pros

Superb opportunity to grow professionally. There is a wealth of experience that is, in general, enthusiastic about training new talent. Their initial starting salaries are quite competitive, given the cost of living in the area. The amount of vacation/holiday time is stellar.

Cons

Advancement within a technical field moves at a snails pace. I can't speak for the administrative side of things. They really don't go out of their way to retain employees financially. You will be basically stuck at your starting salary indefinitely, with marginal compensation for inflation. The same experience which makes it a rich learning environment for new talent also tends to tolerate, even encourage a general disapproval of anything that remotely deviates from the status quo.

Advice to Management

Better communication and direction setting would be good. Also, lessening the constant specter of outsourcing of design to cheaper markets would be beneficial to morale.

3. "I do not have idea."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

Pros

The kind of job because is very interesting and the people that work in, I think that is the reason that I'm working here still; however is importat to say that to me is very exciting to work in this transnational company, if we had had others manager we would be better I can sai it.

Cons

The most important downsides of working at Emerson is the people that is responsible for management of the operations, almost issues are because it seem that we work without planning
    is hard to say that but how the management want to get the goal if they do not gave us all the materials to make finish goods?

Advice to Management

I think senior management should be interesting about all the conditions on production plant because it seem that the only thing very importat for them is the production goals, what happen with operators comfort? fellings? and the recognitions and feedback?

4. "Don't depend on keeping your job."

Current Employee - Worker in Paragould, AR
    Current Employee - Worker in Paragould, AR

Pros

It's a job, and you have a little insurance.

Cons

Benefits, what you make an hour and getting a raise, that is if you get one. You are lucky if you get one and if you do it does not cover the cost of living. And since they are moving alot of the jobs to Mexico,You worry how long you will have a job.

Advice to Management

Wake up and keep company in the U.S . We need worry about our future not Mexico's . I know they work cheaper but, the american people need to keep their jobs.

5. "Emerson is a great place to work with a lot of possibilities."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

Pros

Emerson is an incredibly international firm that has possibilities for advancement within the division and other divisions, both domestically and internationally. I also feel management makes sure I take the time off I need, but we also work pretty hard when we're working.

Cons

Honestly, just the typical corporate nonsense that you find at any big company. Lots of forms and paperwork that seems to have no value and nobody looks at other than making sure it is done.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at the reporting on projects and make sure it is worth the trouble. Emerson got to where it is by keeping corporate lean and I think we are losing that.

"It could be worse."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

It is easy to work for a market Leader. There is good flexibility with the work schedule for creating time between appointments. If you live at or are willing to move within 30 miles o the head quarters thre are good oppurtunities for advancement with te company as people leave or are promoted themselves. A company car is part of the package that includes all gas paid for.

Cons

A belief that all customer will put up withus becuase we makethe best product. The medical coverage is below expectations for being a fortune 100 company under Emerson. 99% of company based market decisions are made without hardly any involment with the employees.

Advice to Management

Work closer to lower level employees and listen to what is being said.

7. "Liebert is a great place to work for a couple years, then move on."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

Pros

Liebert has the financial support from a large congomerate, Emerson.

Cons

Boys club, you must be male and middle aged to be a part of the group.

Advice to Management

Diversify the work force to increase creativity and help develop new ideas in a cooperative environment.

8. "Great benefits but must take your career path into your own hands."

Former Employee - Engineering in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Engineering in Racine, WI

Pros

Excellent benefits. In most areas there is room for advancement. Tuition reimbursement, profit sharing, 401k. 12 holidays, 2 weeks vacation.

Cons

In certain positions and classifications there is no room to advance. Also in certain classifications you only get the minimum 3% yearly pay increase, no performance compensation. Does not promote excellence in performance if the other employees can do a minimum and get paid the same.

Advice to Management

More focus on employee's career track. Employees can stagnate in positions, especially inbetween classifications like factory non-exempt, which get no quarterly raises like factory (who also get the yearly cost of living) and office which get raises based on their performance.

"Good natured people - poor compensation"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Sidney, OH
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Sidney, OH

Pros

Good group of people to work with. Generally a good work environment. Very flexible as far as vacation (though limited amounts each year) and personal time. Reasonably good name recognition. Consistent year over year growth. Overall a solid company with little fear of layoffs. Great tuition reimbursement plan if you stay at the company.

Cons

Poor compensation and benefits compared to other companies and it shows in the quality of some employees. Amount of vacation is low (2 weeks) and doesn't change for 10 years - how ridiculous! In the middle of nowhere. Little opportunity for advancement as an engineer other than through the normal tenured progression. Hard work is not rewarded with just compensation, only occasionally with coupons for the company store. Employees get punished for market conditions by delaying the yearly pay raises which are lousy (3% if that) in the first place. Far too many people that should be fired for poor performance, but the company can't expect much for what they offer. Some employees can be frustratingly lazy and lack motivation to complete projects.

Advice to Management

Reward good employees. Fire or demote bad employees. Offer more vacation earlier in employee tenure. Attract high performers with better incentives.

"Great place for clock punchers, not so great for those wanting to advance their career."

Pros

The product training is excellent. ASCO affords you the opportunity to travel around the country, whether it's to attend trade shows or take part in different types of training.

Cons

This is an archaic company that has (and will continue to have) a hard time retaining young, educated professionals. If you're someone who likes to punch the clock at the same time everyday and collect a steady paycheck, then this is the place for you. If, on the other hand, you're someone who wants to advance your career and be compensated fairly for your work, then ASCO is the wrong place for you. Despite what is said about "opportunities for growth", there really aren't many. The compensation is rather poor in relation to the workload, and management does a very poor job of replacing people when someone leaves.

Advice to Management

Next time there is an opportunity to buy a company that produces a product which could help improve our profitability and market share, do it. ASCO has hesitated to do this in the past, and it's catching up to them.

Showing 1,874 of 2,010 reviews