Emler Swim School Reviews | Glassdoor

Jan Emler

1. "Love kids"

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Emler Swim School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Emler has done a fantastic job of creating a product that is the best on the market. It is incredibly easy to "sell" the lessons when no one else comes close. You will hardly work much outside of your 40ish hours and the salary is competitive. Most of your day involves conversations with parents and kids, though there is a small amount of office work. The long hiring process leads to your coworkers being very strong as well, so there is no need to pick up the slack.

Cons

For the first couple of weeks, you may pick up a bug or two if you are not use to being around kids. The prime time for lessons is during the late afternoon and early evening, so your shift will reflect this.

Advice to Management

Keep on providing quality managers through the hiring process and this company will blossom.

2. "Swim Instructor"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Westlake, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun Job, you get to work with cute kids and the pay is decent

Cons

Not a college job, this job is a commitment you can only miss two of the same shift, management is unorganized.

Advice to Management

Do not hire college students, more organization. Teachers shouldn't be held accountable if they have a family emergency

3. "League Teacher"

Former Employee - League Teacher in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - League Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, very quick and straight forward training process. If you love kids, then you will enjoy. Was good for school work life balance.

Cons

Paid per class taught. Every half hour you teach a class. At lull seasons you'll have gaps where you may not have a class, and or kids don't show (not often but a possibility) you don't get paid.

5. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, decent pay, great people

Cons

Had to work odd hours and attend a lot of night meetings

6. "Amazing Job with Amazing Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Emler Swim School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun coworkers that are supportive in every way
    -Family friendly
    -Great benefits (health, 401K, etc)

Cons

-There are no cons to this job!

Emler Swim School Response

Aug 15, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you so much for the feedback and your review! We are committed to making Emler a great place to work and build a career, which includes not only creating a fun and supportive environment, but ... More

7. "Good Job for Extroverts and Those Who Love Kids"

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Austin, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with kids is a lot of fun, certainly some "Wow, I get paid to do this?" moments. Selective hiring process makes sure that you're going to work with some quality people. Pay/benefits are okay overall. If you are a people person and really buy into the culture, there is a ton of room to grow. Company targets very wealthy clientele and is growing quickly so there is job security if you are competent (and possibly willing to switch locations). Two weeks paid vacation during Christmas/New Years and a long weekend on Thanksgiving. The organization makes a big effort to operate with a purpose.

Cons

At the end of the day, management is a sales job - that is not well advertised or explained during the hiring process. If you are not a really outgoing, super peppy person you will both struggle at the relationship aspects of the job and generally be a poor fit with the culture. Schedule is not really friendly to a family or social life. Very limited time off aside from the winter holidays mentioned above; minimal discretionary vacation time and never get two days off in a row. If you are sick - and you will get sick because you work in a humidifier with hundreds of kids - it will eat in to your vacation as well and eventually be unpaid. Turnover is high for a lot of reasons so there are seemingly constant staffing issues.

Advice to Management

I think being more upfront about the sales-heavy nature of the management roles will help you get candidates that are better equipped to meet expectations.

"Avoid Management Positions!"

Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you don't enjoy a regular desk job and love working with kids, then this may be the place for you.

Cons

The turnover rate is very high for both managers and hourly employees.
    The "work/life balance" they promise is a joke. If you are a manager you can expect to close 3-4 nights easy, which is around 9:00PM/9:30PM depending on the semester.

Corporate expects your to learn first and last names of all customers which could be over 2,000 names, again, depending on the semester. How many first and last names do you think the corporate team knows?

You have to be very careful who you talk to if you any concerns because corporate is eager to get rid of anyone who is not "100% Team Emler".

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the rest of your managers. Too much time is spent taking care of Site Directors, that the rest of management feels like they don't matter.

Don't play favorites. It feels very much like the corporate team has their favorites picked out and you will easily know if you are part of that group or not.

"STAY AWAY!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Frisco, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate tries to be positive.

Cons

There is extremely high turn over in the company overall. If you are not an optimistic person who walks around with your head in this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Find ways to encourage "middle management". Instead of shattering their self esteem and making them feel like crap on a daily basis.

10. "Swim Coach"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor and Life Guard in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor and Life Guard in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School (More than a year)

Pros

25 an Hour for parties

Cons

Terrible Staff and very low pay

11. "The company is very positive and wants you to succeed, it just seems like the expect to much from students."

Former Employee - Teacher and Receptionist in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher and Receptionist in Frisco, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This position is fun!You are going to work at this job. If you're lazy, it's not for you. If you love water and children this is for you. Co-workers are fun and sweet.
    The satisfaction you get from helping a child learn such an important skill is amazing.
    Great opportunity for growth with in the company.

Cons

I'm a student which means I have other responsibilities besides work. I told them my availablity and where I lived and they said they understood but each time there was a meeting they expected me to come despite my class time. I live 45 minutes away and the meeting would sometimes be less than an hour with meant I drove an hour and thirty minutes for a 30 minute meeting. Kind of frustrating
    Also, finding someone to cover your shift can be a pain. I had a family emergency and I found someone, then I was told a day before my off day that I couldn't use that person. I had to find someone in between my classes and the only reason I found someone was because I was friends with with her.

Advice to Management

Just be a little more upfront with your employees. We love working there but it can sometimes be misleading when you say you understand my situation but then can't understand why I'm having issues adjusting to your demands that you said were not important.