Emler Swim School Reviews | Glassdoor

Emler Swim School Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.6
Emler Swim School CEO Greg Laird (no image)
Greg Laird
Pros
  • "Great people and competitive pay(in 6 reviews)

• "If you love kids this is definitely for you(in 5 reviews)

1. "Meaningful work"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Emler Swim School full-time

Pros

You get to connect with people and build relationships.

Cons

Three late night meetings a year.

Emler Swim School2019-08-27
  2. "Really good part time starting job, with great hour availability"

Former Employee - Swim Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great people Great training You can always find help if you ask

Cons

The water can be rough on the skin, but it is understandable since you work in the pool

Emler Swim School2019-10-15

"Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Manager In Training

I worked at Emler Swim School full-time

Pros

the kids are great and it is a great swim program.

Cons

I got this role right after college. I was looking to move to Austin and I thought it would be a good position to start in and have the possibility of moving up. The application process took over a month. I had 2 phone screens and 2 on site interviews. Im not sure if it's still the same but that was just way too long. Once I was hired on after about 2 week I realized I wasn't going to have a life here. They ask you... in all of your interviews if your schedule is flexible. They sell you on "work/life balance" but thats not the case AT ALL. You get scheduled for split shifts with a two hour break so you end up having to stay in the office anyways. So an 8 hour shift for the day is really more like 10. This happens all week long. You dont get weekends off and when you need a day off, you have to find someone to cover it for you (no one ever does) you have team meetings that dont fall in line with your schedule and you dont get paid for them. Don't ever complain about ANYTHING to anyone. It is like a cult there. If you make any bad comments they will push you out. I started our with 4 other MITs. Every single one of us quit after 4 months. The management there was awful. I don't wish this job on anyone.

Emler Swim School2019-10-07
  4. "HIGHLY RECOMMEND"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Frisco, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time

Pros

This is an awesome part-time job. You are constantly surrounded by the kindest people. You will always feel supported. There are lots of opportunities for increased pay.

Cons

When management changed, things slipped a little. I felt less supported. I think the main con would be that your experience could vary from location to location.

Advice to Management

Make sure the new managers you hire love the job as much as the teachers. I felt like some were just looking for a temporary position to put on their resume.

Emler Swim School2019-08-28
  5. "Wonderful!"

Current Employee - Swim Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Emler Swim School full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love being a swim coach at Emler. The managers are great and care about all the employees. Lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

They are a little stingy with payroll. Have to sort out how many classes you taught and how much deck time you had.

Emler Swim School2019-08-05
  6. "Learn a lot, work a lot"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Emler Swim School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Emler's got a lot of good things going for it. You have coworkers that are invested in the company, the insurance and 401k are great, and you'll learn a lot about management and leadership. This company is high growth focused so there's a lot of opportunity to move up if you're a hard worker. Working with the kids and families is truly a blessing. You will meet some fantastic families and find a lot of... fulfillment in your work doing so. There was (not sure if there is anymore) a fantastic training program for incoming management. You will learn a lot of operations management material there.

Cons

There have been some shifts in leadership that have sense seemed to water down the culture a bit. A lot of talk about being involved in day to day operations with very little action. Large focus on enrollment numbers on the site level. Very subjective performance metrics. Work life balance is just okay. Late nights and long days. Overall not as bad as other industries but be prepared to come home late / tired.... Compensation structure needs adjustment in order to match the job market. It doesn't make sense to tout the company as "premier" but not compensate the staff as such. Management training is strictly focused on team leadership. Any business (read: profitability) operations are kept pretty close to the chest of C-level and director roles. This makes commission payouts seem more like shaking a magic 8 ball and hoping for a good outcome rather than being able to perform to any measurable goals. Hiring of hourly and management is always ongoing. You will feel the pains of being understaffed. This is especially true as the company continues to grow aggressively.

Emler Swim School2019-08-17
  7. "Eh"

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Emler Swim School part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with sweet kids

Cons

Poor management, not enough hours

Emler Swim School2019-08-03
  8. "Working at Emler"

Former Employee - Swim Teacher

I worked at Emler Swim School part-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers were great to work with.

Cons

Long shifts in the water. It was hard to get a day off when you were sick or something came up.

Emler Swim School2019-07-31
  9. "You must love kids and get paid pennies."

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Emler Swim School part-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaching kids and knowing you're giving them life skills is immeasurable.

Cons

Teachers are required to have CPR, be willing to work outrageous hours and will be paid less than $6 per class regardless of the class size... 1 to 10 kids. And, if no one shows up for a class... you don't get paid.

Advice to Management

Hire some real managers... or properly train the ones you've got. Communication is either poor, a lie, or an excuse blamed on someone else. People have lives and schedules... just because your managers can't think 20 minutes ahead of time doesn't mean your teachers don't have other plans/commitments. Would also recommend that the curriculum is refreshed to take advantage of education best practices. The Emler focus... on consistency rather than student outcomes is damaging to many students. The focus needs to be on the students...not on who can yell the loudest or sings a song with the exact "right" words. A great program is being derailed by lack of focus on the original premise of water safety

Emler Swim School2019-08-18
  10. "It's okay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spring, TX

I have been working at Emler Swim School part-time for less than a year

Pros

the Love kids give you

Cons

They give you up to 10/11 back to back classes. They give you your days off but expect you to also come in on your off days for a party. You get paid a separate pay for everything you do. You have to manually put in your hours with what you also did for each minute and it's annoying bc management doesn't even count certain things when it goes over the time they expected . They also always expect you to give the... most out of yourself when they're just standing there watching you and don't understand how exhausting it is to teach so many classes back to back. They also always require all this things for us to do in which they don't even pay us enough for.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises is giving reimbursements or referrals or raises if you don't even give them. They're Fake and you have to beg them for more than 4 months and you get lucky if you even get something . It's unfair how other people start with a higher pay and then the others have to work extra to get the same pay. There's just so much drama and expectation as if it was the White House .

Emler Swim School2019-07-27