Emmis Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Emmis Communications Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Smulyan
Jeff Smulyan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, supportive and flexible environment, casual dress code, great product (in 6 reviews)

• Great work environment where you feel valued and respected even as an intern (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is average, and not really much room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Business model built on archaic advertisement principles and out dated technology (in 3 reviews)

"Nightmarish management, typical office politics & favorites, fun atmosphere."

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In office fun and exciting atmosphere.
    Tons of concert, sports tickets available as perks.
    Meet celebrities every so often.
    World class sales training and coaching.

Cons

Typical office politics & managers playing favorites.
    Lack of promotion opportunities, (see point #1).
    Local managers are so out of touch with what's going on in the field, they still think it's the hayday of Radio and advertising money is free for the taking. (Think again)
    What have you done for me lately mentality.
    Managers make light of making you feel replaceable, not valued.
    Constant badgering and scrutinizing micro management if your team or cluster is far away from budget.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain top talent, your local managers need to be evaluated, scrutinized and replaced if unsatisfactory. I won the Emmis' top salesman award for the year and when I approached management about a lateral move to a better performing, more financially rewarding station, I was met with hostility, belittling attitudes and hostile sarcasm from my manager and the GSM about current performance until I quit. If that's living by the "Emmis Commandments", I wouldn't wish my enemies to dare work for you.

Also from what I've heard from others who've stayed and others who've left, Emmis' culture has gone down the tubes. The fun work atmosphere had been sucked dry. Everything from lay offs of 20 year veteran employees, to a forced retirement. More or less it came down to local management, or mismanagement if you will.

I would never work there again until I knew the current local management was gone.

Emmis Communications Response

Feb 14, 2016

Thank you for your post. We are sorry to hear of your experience with the former St. Louis leadership team, and we have taken steps to address the situation. In early 2016, we restructured our sales... More

"Promotions Assistant"

Pros

My peers. We were all there for the same reason and really encouraged the best out of each other.

Cons

Very cut-throat. Didn't seem to invest in the advancement of their staff.

"Director"

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time

Pros

Great benefits and you can make your own schedule.

Cons

They do not pay well and there is no reward for doing your job well.

"OK company, but watch your back."

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Emmis was a good career advance for me. I gained a fair amount of technical expertise in my field, and was able to translate that into an above average salary upon leaving.
    Different departments have different perks, so you will have to discuss those with a hiring manager. 401K (the matching has changed since I left, but they do have some level of matching), free life insurance, and very good low priced health insurance (I would not say it is awesome, but it is better than most).

Cons

Despite the rhetoric about corporate culture being open, and fun, this company is strife with hostile, cutthroat politics, and cronyism.
    Scope creep, change of language, etc in projects is rampant, but deadlines are not adjusted. If you are not good at, or refuse to pass the buck on things like this you will not make it at this company.
    Firing employees at the end of the fiscal year to meet budget constraints is common. If you are making fair market or higher salary, you do have a target on your back. Do not expect HR to require them to have sit downs about "performance issues", or give notice of lay offs due to budgets.

Advice to Management

For senior management: When you see 3-4 employees turn over in the same position with in 2-3 years, you have a management problem. Especially if you loose any key long term employees from the same department in that same time frame.

Emmis Communications Response

Feb 14, 2016

Thank you for your post. We do pride ourselves on having an open, collaborative, fun atmosphere, but we do agree that things can be competitive in the media industry as we are trying to outhustle our... More

"Like Working in an Episode of "The Office," Except No One is Funny..."

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time

Pros

Some very nice people who would probably be great to know outside of work.

Cons

Very dry, stuffy and stiff environment. Forced fun.

Advice to Management

Appoint people to delegate that have real leadership qualities and can handle the balance between being a boss/friend.

"Struggling industry with issues in Management, Budget and Organization"

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Emmis Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company allows for many young adults to have supervisory and management positions

Cons

No organization
    Low budgets due to industry decline
    Incompetent people in supervisory roles
    Not enough training for employees and very little opportunity for growth and/or full time employment opportunities

Advice to Management

Train your employees better before promoting them into supervisory roles
    By, affording productive employees with full-time status instead of having them remain part-time employees (while requiring full time hours) so you won't have to give them benefits is just plain unfair. Take care of your employees better and they'll do a better job.

7. "Get with the time."

Pros

Benefits, notority, parking space downtown,

Cons

Poor Management, non creative, old dinosaurs in management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Young people have good ideas. Get out of the traditional radio box. Allow for more creative autonomy. Too much beurocratic red tape.

8. "Representative of Radio Industry Decline"

Former Employee - Production Director
    Former Employee - Production Director

Pros

Money spent on equipment and facility

Cons

Horrible double-standard from management- will tell a group one thing, tell individuals another. Cut-throat management. No security whatsoever. You get the distinct message you are very replaceable.

Advice to Management

Invest more and trust in employees. More accountability from management. Eliminate favoritism. Be more open and honest with staff. Be more encouraging of ideas from rank and file. Don't be so tied to doing things one way.