Emmis Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 2, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Emmis Communications Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Smulyan
Jeff Smulyan

Pros
  • Had some perks like concert tickets (in 5 reviews)

• Free concert tickets, EVERY holiday off, birthday off, fun events, laid back atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is average, and not really much room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Not many opportunities for career advancement and pay raises are unlikely (in 3 reviews)

1. "Very SHady"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Emmis Communications as an intern

Pros

You get to meet a lot of celebrities.

Cons

The employees don't give you much to do. They're very biased and stand-offish

2. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper management is fair. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Commission only and senior account execs are favored and protected. Promises of 6 figure salaries in 6 months are not true. Believe that there is that possibility 5 years in not 6 Training is non existent.

Advice to Management

Offer a comprehensive training programming in the first two weeks of employment rather than a learn as you go approach. Give call ins to the lowest on the totem pole. Don't share with ones making 6 figures and above.

Jan 30, 2017

Thank you for your post, and for your time at Emmis. Emmis invests heavily in sales training with The Center for Sales Strategies starting on day 1 for all our radio sales staff. While most sales ... More

3. "Emmis"

Current Employee - Newsstand Director in Knightdale, NC
    Current Employee - Newsstand Director in Knightdale, NC

I have been working at Emmis Communications (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong company with opportunities and growth

Cons

Has trouble investing in new ideas

Advice to Management

Think outside the box

Dec 23, 2016

Thank you for your response. Emmis is known for championing and investing heavily in new ideas, including current initiatives like NextRadio and Digonex. Thank you for your time at Emmis!

5. "Relies heavily on "perks""

Former Employee - Digital Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Digital Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of perks like event tickets, freebies and the opportunity to meet athletes and musicians through the station. The variety of clients keeps things interesting.

Cons

Some members of Senior Management have been with the company a long time and unwilling to try new ideas. They also believe that you must "pay your dues" with the company to move up. The company can also have a high school hallway feel with gossip and backstabbing across several levels. Sales reps rule the company, so getting on their bad side can cause your time there to be rough.

Advice to Management

Avoid sticking current employees in the box reserved for what you want them to do and be open to them using their education and experience in different ways.

Nov 15, 2016

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your time at Emmis and your thoughts on our work environment. We do have a new top leader in Indianapolis who is well respected in radio and in ... More

6. "Account Executive"

Pros

Great culture and family feel

Cons

Upper management micro manages at times and displays favoritism in some cases

7. "Sales Project Manager"

Pros

Semi-casual environment, friendly co-workers, small benefits in-office

Cons

Level of disorganization, workload imbalance, expectations of this position

8. "Good short-term job opporutnities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Emmis Communications part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice perks such as concert tickets and food. Most of the staff was friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

Not many opportunities for career advancement and pay raises are unlikely. The radio industry as a whole seems to be struggling.

"Company Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Cool Perks
    - Nice people
    - Great Events

Cons

Downsize a lot
    Low Pay
    Management without proper goals set
    No career training or advancement

10. "Decling company"

I have been working at Emmis Communications full-time

Pros

Work is interesting, music/artist environment, diminishing but better than industry average benefits

Cons

Pay cuts instead of raises, no cost of living adjustments

Advice to Management

Re-instate bonuses. Pay closer attention to middle management's activities.

Jul 19, 2016

Thank you for your post. Emmis, like most radio companies, has had a challenging time the last few years, but we are confident brighter days are ahead with exciting innovations like NextRadio, an ... More

"So Much Potential"

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment, up until the very end of my experience was amazing. The people I worked with are absolutely amazing, there was an incredible feeling of comradeship, and we worked through some pretty tough times as a team. I have never been happier with any work environment in my life.

Cons

Department manager ultimately had no idea what was going on in his department or how to best handle a team with lots of experience. When one of the lower level managers left he carried out a search to fill the position with little regard for the existing employees or speaking to them directly to understand and identify team problems, strengths, or weaknesses. Between "layoffs" and "restructuring" more than 60 years combined experience in broadcasting was sent out the door in what felt like was very personally motivated decisions. It was kind of a "do everything the new guy says, and love doing it, or get fired" sort of situation.

The pay wasn't great, but times aren't great in radio...and the friendly work environment made up for the lack of pay.

Getting the little things done right was of little concern to management and newly hired management.

I had looked forward to spending a long time with the company and helping build their brand, but changes made it impossible to stick it out personally.

Advice to Management

Don't be so quick to assume that immediately complete overhaul is the best way to solve your problems. In this case the hard work of the little people was overshadowed by lack of structure and poor execution by management...and you can guess which one paid the price. Use your people to better your department...your workers are your best resource and they care about the product an awful lot.

Mar 28, 2016

Thank you for your post, and for working at Emmis. We are glad you enjoyed your time and appreciate your contributions! If you have a chance and feel comfortable, could you send us an email at ... More