Emmis Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Emmis Communications Reviews

Updated April 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people, supportive and flexible environment, casual dress code, great product (in 6 reviews)

• Great work environment where you feel valued and respected even as an intern (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is average, and not really much room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Business model built on archaic advertisement principles and out dated technology (in 3 reviews)

"Programming Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Every day was different. Fun co-workers.

Cons

Only managers and sales make any money. Hard work and dedication is not rewarded. Despite their company rhetoric, they do not value staff. Their stock value is a reflection of the leadership of the company.

Jun 15, 2016

Thank you for posting, and we are sorry you didn't have a good experience during your time at Emmis. We did make some personnel changes in January of 2016 that were difficult but necessary, and ... More

"Onward and Upward"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Commission Structure, Rewarded Fairly for performance, open door policy, work life balance. No work place is perfect but I have had an overall positive experience at Emmis,St. Louis. They are not afraid to make changes when necessary to benefit the overall business and take employee feedback under careful consideration. The atmosphere is casual but fast paced. With recent changes the attitude is onward and upward. The new management team is already making positive changes.

Cons

Emmis, at one time, had the reputation of being the best media company in the city to work for and the new management team seems dedicated to reclaiming that title while providing a superior product to the community and advertisers.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to stay involved in the day to day business and dive deep into relationships with employees and clients.

Feb 22, 2016

Thanks so much for posting!

"Laid Off"

Former Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Emmis Communications (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the music and many of my colleagues

Cons

They shouldn't have hired new employees, if they were having financial issues.

Feb 14, 2016

Thank you for your post. Emmis took a number of personnel and non-personnel actions in January 2016 to reduce expenses in its radio, publishing and corporate divisions. These reductions included ... More

5. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Very friendly environment. Highly enjoyed coming into work every morning always learned something new or helpful. Everyone who worked there was very nice and comforting, which made work better.

Cons

Heavy traffic because location was in the city. Other than that there are none.

Feb 14, 2016

Thank you for your post and for interning at Emmis. Great to hear you had a positive experience!

"Nightmarish management, typical office politics & favorites, fun atmosphere."

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In office fun and exciting atmosphere.
    Tons of concert, sports tickets available as perks.
    Meet celebrities every so often.
    World class sales training and coaching.

Cons

Typical office politics & managers playing favorites.
    Lack of promotion opportunities, (see point #1).
    Local managers are so out of touch with what's going on in the field, they still think it's the hayday of Radio and advertising money is free for the taking. (Think again)
    What have you done for me lately mentality.
    Managers make light of making you feel replaceable, not valued.
    Constant badgering and scrutinizing micro management if your team or cluster is far away from budget.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain top talent, your local managers need to be evaluated, scrutinized and replaced if unsatisfactory. I won the Emmis' top salesman award for the year and when I approached management about a lateral move to a better performing, more financially rewarding station, I was met with hostility, belittling attitudes and hostile sarcasm from my manager and the GSM about current performance until I quit. If that's living by the "Emmis Commandments", I wouldn't wish my enemies to dare work for you.

Also from what I've heard from others who've stayed and others who've left, Emmis' culture has gone down the tubes. The fun work atmosphere had been sucked dry. Everything from lay offs of 20 year veteran employees, to a forced retirement. More or less it came down to local management, or mismanagement if you will.

I would never work there again until I knew the current local management was gone.

Feb 14, 2016

Thank you for your post. We are sorry to hear of your experience with the former St. Louis leadership team, and we have taken steps to address the situation. In early 2016, we restructured our sales ... More

7. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Okay benefits, some good people.

Cons

CFO out of touch with staff needs and plays favoritism in a very obvious fashion. Not the company it once was.

Advice to Management

REPLACE UPPER MANAGEMENT BEFORE YOU LOSE MORE GOOD PEOPLE!

Feb 14, 2016

Thank you for your feedback, and we have taken steps to address the situation. In early 2016, we did make changes in New York that we think will improve the workplace, performance and morale.

8. "Its ok"

Former Employee - Promotions in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Promotions in Austin, TX

Pros

Event tickets and swag Perks

Cons

Latte to no place for advancement

"Fun while it lasts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

fun work environment at times depending on which department you choose to work

Cons

annual lay offs even though the company tells staff that they are doing well.

Advice to Management

Don't base your judgment on employers based off of gossip but facts.

Aug 18, 2015 – Brand Ambassador

Thank you for your feedback on Emmis and for your over 10 years of service. We do pride ourselves on a fun, productive work environment. It is impossible to address your situation directly without ... More

"Great People, Great Job, Not a Great Career"

Former Employee - Producer/Board Operator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Producer/Board Operator in Austin, TX

I worked at Emmis Communications part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly and fun workplace. Lots of freebies (swag). Chance to run into celebs and network. You're in the Biz. You get to work two other jobs to make a living.

Cons

Yes, it's a good place to get your foot into the door if you want to get into broadcasting. However, chances to move up for a better shift are slim to none. If you are the creative type, management will often shoot down every other idea after talking to "sales" or budget reasons. Its business model wants to be at the the forefront of technology and edgy, but still drags its feet in the 20th century ideas so in essence, corporate radio. I know this is a joke in radio but the pay compared to other major markets is well below standard.

Advice to Management

Step up and be managers. Getting the advertising bucks is only half the job, do air-checks and keep the standards high and consistent. Just because clients have the money to buy themselves a job on air, doesn't mean they need to be on air. Show some self respect.

11. "Get In where you fit in"

Former Employee - Programming in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Programming in New York, NY

I worked at Emmis Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of information to learn and grow your career in the radio and entertainment industry overall.

Cons

Too many associates afraid to engage management about how they can make better use of there skills.

Advice to Management

Fresh ideas, young minds coupled with seasoned talent is the recipes for success.