Empire Today Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Empire Today CEO Keith Weinberger
Keith Weinberger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Personal/Work life balance; company perks, working with some of the best reps ever (in 8 reviews)

• six figure job, control your own schedule, get to focus on selling because customer service handles any issues and doesn't involve the salesperson (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours and hours and miles of wear and tear on your personal vehicle (in 10 reviews)

• Lack of collaboration with installers and sales reps (in 19 reviews)

1. "VP"

I worked at Empire Today full-time

Pros

Great flexibility and opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Silos. Every man for themself

Advice to Management

Encourage team building

"It was a wonderful job."

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Empire Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were great, the team was wonderful, and the support was excellent. One of the best work experiences I've ever had.

Cons

I was paid very well. My employees often didn't see their commissions because they didn't exceed their hourly wages during a 2 week period.

Advice to Management

Brick and Mortar stores are the way to go. No more partnerships with other stores like JCPenneys

"Good Benefits, Laid-Back Workplace, Horrible Pay"

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very casual, laid-back environment, at least in our branch and I suspect others are the same. You can wear jeans to work, you can take time off, good benefits that start right away. Those are all pluses. They like to brag about promoting from within and that's true to some extent but only if you want to go into management, and believe me, you do not want to go into management here. That's when the laid-back turns into hell on earth. My colleagues, department and manager are great, they foster a friendly and "team" spirit here.

Cons

As an associate, you will be expected to pick up skills with no training (you soon figure out that everyone just kind of fakes it along until they figure out how to do the job, it's such a waste of time but everyone is too overworked to take ten minutes out of their day to train you, and there's no in-house system). You will also be paid a laughable wage, which is why they never post the salaries on job openings. Yes, there' work-life balance, if you're an associate, but you'll wish there weren't because the only way to pump up your paycheck is to get overtime and they do no longer allow that.

If you're in management, expect to work 80 hours a week, be on call constantly, and have your job threatened regularly, for a salary that is well below the average for your industry. Empire seems to have a policy against hiring enough people to do the work, not wanting to spend a dime to provide working equipment or fix our massive procedural problems, and our ability to serve our customers and do our jobs has become a nightmare. In a better job market, people would be leaving in droves.

If you're lucky to have a good manager, you'll do well, otherwise you will hate every living minute of it.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, train them properly, and pay them a living wage. You have some very dedicated employees and you should reward them for it,.

4. "Warehouse Associate"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Empire Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lucrative benefit package a plus. Hours are early to work around life schedule.

Cons

6 day a week work weekx no rotating Saturday.

Advice to Management

Commumicate more. Management should not be stuck at stations that should be performed by employees, they rarely knoe ehats going on inside the warehouse.

"Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Empire Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job, but definitely not a career. There are the occasional qualified and supportive co-workers. Up-to-date equipment. Free water.

Cons

There was rarely any design in this job. A glorified production designer to people with very little knowledge of marketing, let alone design. "Because I said so" is the mentality from non-designers.

Whomever was the last person to leave "was the issue" yet nothing changed.

Constructive feedback for improvements never considered. Issues completely ignored.

See customer reviews, it's not any better behind the scenes. The longer someone has worked for the company, the more obvious it is they are a large part of the negative issues. Hence, the high turnover rate.

Felt an overall lack of respect and witnessed a high level of superficial commentary regarding the way employees looked, how they dressed, what they ate, and more.

Was embarrassed to tell people where I worked and left after issues remained acknowledged but went unaddressed.

Advice to Management

Stop managing managers managing managers managing designers. Instead, start being a leader and letting people use their training, knowledge, and experience to your advantage.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, GA

I worked at Empire Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing

Cons

Using my gas to travel. Over priced products, used car sales mentality to make money scam company. All reps in my class quit in one month .

Advice to Management

Liar liar

"sales culture is terrible"

I worked at Empire Today full-time

Pros

There are not any pros

Cons

There are too many to list

Advice to Management

Get with it

"Terrible structure"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Empire Today (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits including pto, holiday and 401k

Cons

Major communication issues throughout the company

Advice to Management

Give more individual power to employees to ensure company runs smoothly

"Dysfunctional from the top down"

I worked at Empire Today full-time

Pros

401-K match,\ and healthcare benefits

Cons

Everything else. This company sucks the life out of you.

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carlstadt, NJ

I worked at Empire Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made you feel like you were apart of a big family! A great work environment for anyone!

Cons

At times management played with some of the employees money. Several people promised raises but none were ever given.

Advice to Management

If you do one thing for one employer, you have to do the same for the rest because nobody is better than anybody in the workplace!