1-800 CONTACTS - My job at 1800 Contacts will one day turn into a career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

"My job at 1800 Contacts will one day turn into a career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of the company is so strong, it has taught me to not only value customer service but to live it. Everyone I work with is my customer. The job & pay are average but the vast company activities make it well worth it. I look forward to every event.

Cons

With so many people loving the company, there is very little turn over. Moving up is hard to do because very few opportunities come along. I've been trying to move positions for a while & not gotten any.

Advice to Management

View your employees potential. Help them move if they have expressed interest to.
Moving up is hard to do.

Other Employee Reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

"Great company to work for, (2 1/2 yrs.) Their vision "We take care of our team because they take care of our customers""

Current Employee - Receiving Clerk, Inbound Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Receiving Clerk, Inbound Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee perks (i.e. onsite cafeteria, subsidised meal cost, performance based bonus, Associate Development Programs, free eye exams, onsite gym, company parties, film festivals, supervisors and managers are personable, dedicated and genuinely care for their associates. A community exists within the company of continually progessing personally, and bettering the experience everyone has with this company, associates and customers alike. There is a lot of oportunity to move up, and grow professionally.

Cons

Not a job you can "coast" at. Especially at the Distribution center there is no room for mediocrity. Teams are driven here by success and if you can't consistently improve working here is not for you.

Advice to Management

be genuine, and complimentary. Don't compensate your goals to be nice, but go out of your way to be a friend to the "grunts".

"1-800 CONTACTS lives up to the hype"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1-800 CONTACTS is an extremely well-run company. The social aspect is phenomenal. If you like working in a place where you actually know your coworkers and talk to them on a daily basis, you’ll love it here. Friends that I have referred have commented on how genuinely nice and real everyone. There are a dozen different ways you can get involved in the company and shape the culture e.g. sports, clubs, events, etc. but if you are one not the joiner kind that is fine too as you can still participate in the great perks.

The work aspect is run tight. You always know where you stand in regards to performance as you have weekly one on ones with your manager discussing it. I feel like my Manager sincerely cares that I do well and is always offering helpful tips to me. If you are a people person you will love the customers. Unlike other companies, people know they are going to get great service when they call in so their default isn’t “Angry Screaming Customer” like I had at a former job supporting cell phones.

Cons

On a company note we have been bough and sold twice in the last 2 years. We seem to be going through constant change. Things are settling down now and I hope it remains that way for at least 2 years.

You have a ton of flexibility to pick your schedule but when you are on the clock your are working: no surfing FB/Instagram/web or even texting cause cell phones aren't allowed on the call center floor. (we deal with a lot of HIPAA confidential information)

You have to be the best of the best to be promoted; this is both a con and a plus. People who have been here for a while get frustrated because they are passed up time and time again by newer, better performers. If you think you’re going to advance simply by coming to work and meeting the metrics, you probably wont. You have to deliver good results constantly or you move to the back of the line.

Also, dealing with people on the phone all day long can get really trying. You can shorten or split your shifts but sometimes you go home at the end of the day and you just don't want to talk anymore.

Advice to Management

Give us more visibility on why people are promoted and insight into your thinking. Show us what the path is to move into different avenues with reasoning behind it. Find a way to monetarily reward us besides the bonus. I want more in my base.