1-800 CONTACTS - Great environment, great people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

"Great environment, great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1-800 CONTACTS works hard to create a great place to work with a healthy work/life balanced.

Cons

Slower career progression.

Since it's such a great place to work, people quite at a lower rate than compared to those of other companies. This coupled with the company being in a mature phase (with not a ton of growth) causes slower career progression.

Advice to Management

Keep on rocking it!

Other Employee Reviews for 1-800 CONTACTS

"A good company trying to still find its internal identity"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Gym, Subsidized Cafeteria, Film festivals, Extravagant Summer Picnic, Tuition Re-imbursement, Employee Assistant Programs, 401K reimbursement that is fully vested after 2 years, and much more

Cons

The biggest issue with 1-800 Contacts is that moving up is all about who you know and not who is necessarily best suited for the position. Pay could be better as well.

Advice to Management

Currently many of the employees do not have a real understanding of the direction that the company is going. We are being told that we are all going to be one big "Customer and Compliance" department. Then we all get segregated back into our previous roles with a large disconnect between departments still. Listen to employees for ideas and really assess the whole company structure before you make changes in areas that are not fully understood.

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Jun 16, 2014 – HR Business Partner

We appreciate this associate's tenacity and loyalty to the organization. We appreciate that they recognize the many wonderful things we do for all of our associates to show our appreciation for ... More

"Great when I started, but the new changes have turned it around for the worse"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Work at home opportunities, subsidized meals, great co-workers, get to wear casual where to work, bonuses (if given).

Cons

Pay isn't great, bonuses have been cut down more than ever, constant changes to where we aren't even told of all of them and are expected to know everything, horribly understaffed, people getting fired left and right. One of the trainers was forced to step down with the new training program they implemented, every manager had to reapply for their jobs for this joke of changing departments (two of the long term managers were demoted and replaced with people who had just been there for over a year) and there are so many people getting fired left and right (even if you don't have a write-up) that the turnover is the highest it has ever been. The policy is that you can get weekends off after being there for one year. Two friends of mine walked out, because after the year was up, they were told they could not have weekends off as promised and it wouldn't happen anytime soon. And if you decide to apply, DO NOT apply for the chat team. I have been on the chat team for over three years and it is horrible. We are now required to do sales, bonuses are lower than ever and we are horribly understaffed. We also received an email that they were just barely started to train (after being maxed out and miserably for MONTHS) and they won't hire anyone else to help. The quality system is also a complete joke. I have zero pride in my job now and I am sick of crying from being so overwhelmed while I work.

Advice to Management

You want your customers to be satisfied? Then make the employees happy and quit doing these changes left and right! Happy employees want to help customers and right now, a lot of us could care less. Its a joke and no one knows what is going on half of the time! Chat is supposed to be a promotion, but it is sad when we have had three fired and four quit in the last month and they tell us we don't need the extra help, yet more and more things are piled on us. We have it even worse than any department and I know for a fact most of your senior employees are looking for new jobs, including myself. Quit these ridiculous changes and go back to the way things were four years ago when I started. Almost every employee was happy back then. I know HR is going to defend the company like they did with the other bad ones. HR, look at your last three reviews before mine. That should tell you something and I am sure there will be more.

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Jul 8, 2014 – HR Business Partner

We appreciate this Associate's comments. 1-800 CONTACTS welcomes all feedback both positive and negative. We encourage our associates to discuss concerns openly and honestly with their leadership ... More