1st in Media - PYMNTS.com/Market Platform Dynamics was the worst mistake for my career and life. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for 1st in Media

"PYMNTS.com/Market Platform Dynamics was the worst mistake for my career and life."

Former Employee - Anonymous
Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at 1st in Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's absolutely no good reason to work here.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations, no work/life balance, unethical and hostile work environment. When starting this role, I was very excited to be a part of a team and was told I would be learning the industry and would be able to shadow and be trained by the other team members. I was left to my own devices within the first 3 days. I continually asked for work and training but was given random tasks that did not coincide with my role. One of the team members went as far as giving me inaccurate information and training which then led to me making several mistakes without even knowing about it. A group of employees are definitely favored which leaves others with no path for growth or advancement. The same group also continually bullies and bad-mouths other employees, fostering a very hostile and negative work environment. Within the first month of working here, I started to hear stories about employees quitting the company after only several weeks or months. Huge red flag there. If you want career advancement or want to get any kind of enjoyment out of your work, stay far far away from PYMNTS. You will thank me for this later. There is not one positive experience I got out of this place. Needless to say, I got out as quickly as possible. And I am more than grateful that I did. Will never look back and want to forget my experience at this place altogether.

Advice to Management

Management needs to check their huge egos at the door and give their employees a little bit of consideration and compassion. With this kind of turnover, you will fail miserably and pretty soon word will get out--as it already is.

Other Employee Reviews for 1st in Media

"The Worst."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The office is very close to the subway.

Cons

Immediately pressured to work 70+ hours a week - 50 hours minimum, including nights, weekends and holidays routinely. This is a grind house where they aim to squeeze as much out of your as possible until your inevitable burnout. Upper management has garnered the disdain of middle management and everyone below by demanding unreasonable deadlines, hours, pay, raises, bonuses, benefits, expectations and duties. Without question, this was the worst experience of my professional career. To make matters worse, they are quite vocal about former employees not "having what it takes". Meaning that they either know the problems and believe that they just haven't found the right people desperate enough to hang in there or they are blissfully ignorant which means these issues will never be fixed or addressed.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't give them the courtesy of my advice.

"Upward mobility, but at a personal cost"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at 1st in Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick to promote hard workers and favorites. Excellent compensation and benefits. Lots of hands-on experience with smart people. Young staff with a "we're all in this together" attitude.

Cons

No work-life balance. Employees regularly worked 70-plus hours a week with no extra compensation. Pervasive culture of fear within the company -- you're motivated by a desire to keep your job or to not have more work shoved on your shoulders, which inevitably kills enthusiasm. Lying to employees is common, as is a “divide and conquer” strategy among upper and middle management. Extraordinarily high turnover rate in editorial/content.

Advice to Management

Upper management does a good job of recruiting talent but a horrible job of keeping it. Your general employee burnout time is just 9-18 months. Focus more on being honest with your current employees and on managing their hours, and you won't have the ~80% turnover rate you have now.