"Fantastic Place to Work"

5.0

I have been working at 23andMe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The inclusive culture, the family-like feel of the company, the work/life balance, and the perks/benefits are endless: free lunches, snacks, swag, health benefits, etc. I look forward to going to work everyday not just because I love the work I do, but my team (and honestly, the entire company!) is an absolute joy to work with. There truly is nothing like knowing that the work you're doing is contributing to something far greater for the world.

Cons

Growing pains. Going from a startup to a corporate feel can be rough, but everyone is doing a great job at managing these growing pains.

"Magical place to work full of amazing people"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at 23andMe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Exuberant, transparent, science-first culture * Great people * Solid leadership team and long-term strategy * Cool office and perks * Lots of room for advancement * Good work-life balance

Cons

* Turnover due to quick pivots on tactics * Lots of regulation that makes progress challenging * Lots of politics

Continue reading

"A great stepping stone, but I'm glad I didn't stay any longer"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at 23andMe full-time for more than a year

Pros

23andMe truly is a mission driven company. Most of the people I worked with were passionate about what we were doing, and I enjoyed becoming good friends with many of my intelligent and (generally) capable coworkers. 23andMe offers a great work/life balance (particularly for parents) and thoughtful perks (excellent lunch every day, Peloton bikes in the gym, etc.). 23andMe also offers great name recognition, which I personally think was invaluable when I was interviewing for other jobs.

Cons

As others have mentioned, 23andMe simply does not make decisions effectively, despite one of its values being "Get to Yes or No, quickly." This is due to a number of reasons: - Unlike many (most) tech companies who are engineering/product driven, 23andMe is primarily a marketing/business development driven company. For every one product manager, there were (until the recent layoffs) three marketing associates. This might be why 23andMe has not introduced a major new product in years despite spending tens of millions of dollars on marketing. - Anne (CEO) does not delegate. All major decisions have to go through her, which means decisions simply cannot be made quickly. It's also worth noting that Anne is the VP of Product (see the point above). - 23andMe is focused on perfection to a fault. Rather than iterate on a new product/feature (i.e. practice agile), management seems to prefer to obsess over the smallest details, preventing projects from moving forward. On an unrelated note, 23andMe completely discourages working remotely, which is just an unreasonable position for a tech company in 2020. As far as I know, this was a top down decision from Anne years ago.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about 23andMe.