23andMe - Stay away.... | Glassdoor

"Stay away...."

Pros

You can work at a company that is marketing a novel consumer-focused product in an exciting and new industry of personal genetic testing. People are bright and passionate about what they do. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Extremely poor management that completely ignores the customer as well as employee needs. Major legal threats to the very existence of the business. Poor pay and complete lack of communication. Lack of focus and direction in management decisions.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and focus on the product development. Stop being elitist and pay attention to your employees as well as customers.

23andMe Response

Jun 15, 2016 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Over the last FIVE years we've hired many new employees, managers, and executives across the organization, including in our customer-facing, product, communications, & HR teams. Today, we are a ... More

Other Employee Reviews for 23andMe

"Dream job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Making history! 23andMe is on the cutting edge of direct-to-consumer genetics. We're the first and only company to have FDA authorization to return genetic reports directly to people without a prescription and without a doctor as a filter
    - Pioneering research. With over 2M customers (and growing!) of who >80% participate in research, the possibilities of making new discoveries is incredible.
    - Therapeutics. We are building a world-class team to discover medicines based on human genetics.
    - The people and workplace. Colleagues are passionate about what they do, everyone believes in the company's vision and mission. The office space in downtown Mountain View is super convenient and a comfortable environment to work in.
    - Leadership. It's not perfect (see Cons below) but there's a clear effort to address challenges and a commitment to improve.

Cons

This is indeed my dream job at my dream company, but that doesn't mean it's all roses. I don't think the cons here are unique to 23andMe so much as any workplace in a similar phase of growth:

- Resource constraints: There is more work to do and it's all "high priority" but there aren't enough people or hours in the day to do it all.
    - Growing pains: As teams grow and new roles are created, responsibilities become fuzzy and it takes time, patience, and some tough discussions to work through who is doing what. Some teams find it hard to let go of responsibilities they once had even though they no longer have any bandwidth to do those things which frustrates stakeholders who are waiting on those things.
    - Culture: As teams grow, they are developing their own culture and work style and this is creating some clashes. Do we really need to use JIRA for *everything*? Engineers would say "yes" but other teams disagree.

Advice to Management

- Continue with the Town Halls and make the employees' voices heard.
    - Continue to refine and iterate on our priorities. It's getting better but there's room to improve.
    - Need some more company-wide team building to help reduce the growing frictions (listed in the Cons above). Thursday team lunches aren't quite doing it.
    - A little more transparency about the Exec team changes.

"Customer Care Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Care Reporesentative in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Reporesentative in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the environment-everyone is extremely genuine, smart, and friendly. management is very understanding and open. Executives are transparent with everything going on in the company
    benefits-free gym, food every day, snacks, great health coverage, rooftop access, etc
    workspace-facilities does a phenomenal job at keeping everything extremely clean and fixes all issues ASAP. I don't feel like I'm sitting a boring desk job all day, it's a fun place to be

Cons

Traffic through downtown mountain view can suck and the train can be kind of loud (I cannot think of a legitimate con, everything is awesome here)

23andMe Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Go team! Happy you're happy at 23andMe. Thanks for taking the time to share your great experience.