24 Hour Fitness - Personal trainer job was really a sales job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

"Personal trainer job was really a sales job"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Berkeley, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job if you are sales oriented

Cons

not a great job if you just want to train clientele

Advice to Management

separate the jobs and let trainers train and sales people do sales

Other Employee Reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

1. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Service Representative Lead in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Service Representative Lead in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership, discounted personal training, lots of learning, plenty of opportunities to move up and get promoted!

Cons

The pay isnt great.. even the managers don't get paid that well. Definitely think people put in more work and don't get paid enough for it!

Advice to Management

I work in service... it's great but it's constantly changing. We're being required to do more and more and more (now we're required to sell memberships, while doing our current job.). Don't we have membership counselors for that? It's hard to have one job, and be required to do other jobs as well.We definitely don't get paid enough to be taking over other people's jobs.

"This used to be a fun job.....not anymore"

Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Denver, CO

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, free membership, instructors can use child-care while they're teaching class

Cons

I've been a part time Group-X instructor @ 24Hour for 7 years. About 4 years ago the company decided to go from in-house 24Hour-created classes to contracting with an outside company to provide all the class formats. Before the change, 24 provided instructor training to ALL of the Group-X instructors -and it was FREE (so we were regularly updated and refreshed on new formats). Now, you are expected to pay for your own training to the tune of $250/pop and then subscribe (via your own credit card) to the outside company (Les Mills, Powder Blue, Schwinn etc) to get updates another $40/quarter. Not OK.

There has been tremendous turn-over in Group-X management. Over the last 4 years I've been through at least 7 supervisors & managers -- I didn't even know I had a new boss until I got a nasty email from one of them.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees (even the part time ones)!!!! Provide company-paid-for training and continuing education for ALL of your Group-X instructors -not just your favorites. And take a look at why you keep having so much turn-over in management. Obviously they're quitting for a reason.