24 Hour Fitness - Group X Instructor | Glassdoor

"Group X Instructor"

Current Employee - Group X Instructor in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Group X Instructor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid to learn coreography, reimbursed for Les Mills DVD's and even paid to find a sub.

Cons

Impossible to find a sub. Most other gyms have a sub-list of people waiting to jump on available classes. Not 24 Hour Fitness... Especially if you teach a Wednesday night class like I do, good luck finding a sub.. everyone else teaches Wednesday night too. I got a disciplinary notice for not being able to find a sub for a class that I posted a week in advance and called most instructors trying to find. Also they don't have the IT ability to filter their instructor list based on people likely to be able to help out (i.e. aren't already teaching at that time, or live relatively close). They insisted that I call everyone on the list (about 75 people) every time I needed a sub when most of them were either already teaching, lived an hour away, or some other very valid excuse. Pretty lame that the district managers couldn't do a simple excel sort to save me 75 phone calls..

Advice to Management

See above.

Other Employee Reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

1. "we are there to sale, not really to help those needing help change their lives through fitness."

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time

Pros

free membership as an employee

Cons

Business that tries really hard up-selling products that people don't even need.

"Politics Aside, good environment to learn sales part-time. Full-Time prospective employee's should look elsewhere."

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Great Environment to Learn Sales
    Multiple Locations

Cons

Quality of management varies greatly.
    Corporate constantly changes policies
    Fast Turnover

Advice to Management

I appreciate the opportunity I have been given to work for this company. I work at a club that constantly gets visited by the corporate team, However, corporate needs to analyze how their pricing is perceived compared to competitors . 24 Hour Fitness lacks competitive pricing (45-60 P/M as opposed to (30-40P/M) and it is difficult to address whether the Super Sport gyms are premium tier or low tier because the pricing lacks strategy and the positioning of the gym I work at does not match the market they are targeting. I have worked at an active and then super sport for over two years and I have learned a lot about the pros and cons from the frontline perspective. Spend more time training the service department about current policies for members as you do for membership counselors. Many times I had angry customers because of the lack of consistent information they receive from different departments. I loved this company when I began working but overtime the club management changed(they left the company) and lately I have felt like the new management micro manages the entire staff. I produce the most sales in the club I work in and I am results driven but the constant "new" policies hinder the customer experience not improve it. Unfortunately , due to the lack of consistency in this company I will leaving to work for a Corporation in June. I have a finance and marketing degree and while I wanted to originally move up within this company the current environment is not the right fit for a strong business model. This company will have quantity in new members but it lacks quality at the current time and if that does not change the increase in cancellations will offset the new members joining .