2U - Trending toward greatness | Glassdoor

"Trending toward greatness"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior Management fosters constant innovation while providing clear goals for themselves as well as each department. We are routinely asked to embrace changes that our peers, not management , have developed allowing many to step out of their day to day role and contribute on a much larger scale. This contribution has resulted in a greater sense of family/unity. Feedback is consistently requested to further evolve what we do well.. The mission of 2U attracts top people which forces you to bring your best each day because you know the person on either side of you is just as talented and driven. That said, from the C-level team down to managers the focus is on collaboration not cutthroat competition to move the business forward.

Cons

Early promotions were based on sales ability or friendships not leadership or management ability. Through a good HR process and clearer metrics across all departments the management team has grown in a much more productive way, internal promotions are deserved and evident by the time they occur. Related to this as the company has matured there were growing pains from employees that were excited by the "Start-up" mentality. We have moved past that but some have found it hard to embrace a more corporate approach to things.

Unless you live in DC the commute can be brutal at times. Additionally the options for lunch, or team gatherings after hours are severely limited in the immediate area.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, find new ways to motivate just as you challenge teams to find new ways to improve.

Other Employee Reviews for 2U

"I never want to leave"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love coming to work everyday. By my second day at work, I had decided I want to stay for a long, long time. I still can't imagine anywhere else I would want to work. I am changing lives. I'm having a positive impact on the world. 2U is improving higher education, and I am a part of it. I've also found a second family here. I feel like people believe in me, value the work I do, and go out of their way to help me succeed.

Career growth is available for those who are capable, work hard, and keep an eye out for the right opportunity. 2U loves to promote from within, so you just need to make sure you are ready when the right job opens up. People are happy to have lunch and talk with you about their department and their career path; you just have to ask. My manager has been incredibly supportive and helpful when talking about both my short-term and my long-term career goals.

Benefits are great. There are a variety of health/dental/vision options to choose from, and I've been able to find in-network doctors who I really like. Full-time employees are also offered full tuition reimbursement to all of our programs.

Everyone at 2U works hard, but emphasis is placed on outcomes, not on when/where you do your work. People here are flexible--if you need to come in early or leave early that's okay. If you're running late in the morning, just stay late in the afternoon. Need to work from home one morning so you can let someone in to install your internet? No problem. Management goes out of their way to make sure that when you're on vacation you don't have to do any work. Overtime happens, especially near deadlines, but it is not an expected, every-day occurrence.

I work closely with senior management, and they are great people. They are approachable, transparent, and honest. They work hard, they are passionate about what they do, and they come to work every day dedicated to changing the world. They care about the employees and are interested in who everyone is an individual. It's incredible, and their attitudes are contagious.

The culture is amazing. I feel so relieved to finally be at a place where everyone wants to accomplish things, and work hard all day. No one drags his/her feet here. Everyone is ready to lend a helping hand. There are always resources available for a good idea.

There is a lot of emphasis placed on fun and community building: dance and pizza parties are common. Our annual Halloween costume contest is a huge deal, and our annual company meeting is a whirlwind of presentations, group sessions, and getting to know your fellow 2torians. The nice thing is that even as an introvert, I feel comfortable at all these events. People are encouraged to be who they are and participate in whatever way feels right for them. There is something for everyone here.

The no a-hole policy ensures that at a minimum, you will be working with a lot of really nice people. Many people (myself included) have friends they hang out with on weekends and/or go out with after work. The mission statement draws in intelligent, passionate people. At the end of the day, you feel like you've made a difference.

Why would you work anywhere else?

Cons

I don't have much to say here...The fast-paced environment isn't for everyone. You have to want to make a difference and change the world to succeed. You have to have a passion for what you do.

Advice to Management

Better communicate to the world that our programs are amazing. People are always interested and excited when I tell them about 2U programs.

"Stay far away from this place"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are right out of college, the pay is great. Also, you get to wear jeans to work.

Cons

This place seems like one big party. The culture is "work hard, play hard" which sounds nice, but if you're used to some sort of structure, then this isn't the place for you. Whenever problems arise, they blame it on the company's growing pains. This gets tiring to hear. Just fix it. The company has been in existence long enough that this phrase need not be uttered quite so much.

It appears that the more you brown nose, the further you'll go, regardless of skill level. I heard so many supposed managers talking to students and they didn't sound very good on the phone. I was confused as to how they got where they were, because they certainly didn't sound like they knew what they were talking about and they lacked finesse. Also, people that win awards aren't necessarily skilled at what they do - they've simply kissed up to the right people. One could argue that that goes on at any job, but it is blatant here.

Working next to people that have ZERO admissions experience can be annoying. You know you're being paid the same thing, yet they have no idea what they are doing.

There is little rhyme or reason why some things are done and almost no consistency. I suspect this relates to their "growing pains".

A member of senior management gave a demotivating speech letting new admissions counselors know that they were just sales people, nothing more. There wasn't an ounce of gratitude in his speech for the job we did or the revenue bought to the company.

Advice to Management

Make this like a real workplace. Groom professionals. It's fine to have fun, but you can do that and still be professional. It's not ok to use swearwords when speaking to those that work for you.