2U - Great company focused on real outcomes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for 2U

"Great company focused on real outcomes"

Current Employee - Director in Landover, MD
Current Employee - Director in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company culture, we are growing but there is a concerted effort to maintain some level of a start up environment. Work had, play hard (cliche but actually true) A lot of opportunity if the skill set is there, team player, and the timing is right. NIce to be a part of a company that is making a real impact in an industry that ultimately matters to everyone...education.

Cons

Like most companies, there are a lot of office politics. That being said I think most business practices are improving. Some departments are better than other. Not a lot of diversity at the SVP to C-Level management (women and minorities). Terrible paid time off benefits, and when you do take vacation you get a hard time from management.

Advice to Management

Be less reactive. If something is working/not working, don't always immediately push the breaks or gas. When this happens so frequently you lose the trust of your employees who have to constantly pivot thier priorities and time....ultimately resulting in employees not knowing what is really important.

Other Employee Reviews for 2U

1. "Great mission, but lax work environment"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary for flexible hours, company culture is upbeat

Cons

disorganized, favoritism in promotions, lots of complacency in employees

Advice to Management

foster more collaboration between departments, HR should offer transfers between departments more readily

"Pretty Good Company, but like any startup, there are issues."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the MBA@UNC program for a year. When I worked there we had catered lunches, and the parties/office events were a ton of fun. The people that work here tend to be very positive and enthusiastic (there also tend to be a lot of physically attractive young people ). If you work in Admissions, the money is great. If you're outside of admissions, the job security is great, and vice versa. I enjoyed my time at 2U, and I could see myself working there again in the future. The experience that you have is largely based upon the program that you're working in.

Cons

Promotions, leads, and recognition tended to be based on political favoritism within the organization. Working at 2U is a lot like being back in highschool. Employee's definitely mix work with social life, so there's always drama going on within the departments. 2U is a startup, so there is a huge "churn n' burn" mentality "employed" by HR (pun intended). Almost every week or so you will hear of someone getting fired, and the worst thing is that it's often a friend of yours, due to the heavy social atmosphere. Management is no exception. During my year with 2U, I saw a lot of Management get canned.

Advice to Management

Pretty good overall. Try to be realistic about goals and expectations. In the year that I worked with the program, the department as a whole never hit it's goal during a quarter. The people were there to make it happen, the resources weren't available. 2U hires the absolute best and brightest, there's no doubting that. The projections weren't realistic in regards to the market and recruiting resources.