3M - Incompetence, nepotism, swearing at employees, threats. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for 3M

"Incompetence, nepotism, swearing at employees, threats."

Current Employee - Lead Design Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Lead Design Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Benefits, location, environment, interesting and challenging work. Many wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Incompetent and unqualified management, nepotism, the cousin of the manger that brought her in the department secretly, got the job that I earned. When I brought up to the director the qualifications of my manager he said, "you tell anyone what happened to you and I will kick your ass." , while the HR manage sat next to me and said nothing. An upper level manager used the, "F", word to me twice in a meeting while my manager sat next to me and said nothing and when reported nothing was done about it and if you did that to a manager at 3M they would walk you out the door. People advanced not by their accomplishment or contributions but by who they sucked up to and that is the 3M way. Those envolved in nepotism should be fired no matter how long ago it happened. However, 3M management can't handle that problem either when nepotism is their fault it says on the application, "do you have any relatives that work here.", and 3M let her come in the department and move ahead. She advanced three job classes in a year and a half and is there a red flag there?

Advice to Management

Get qualified people in their jobs and promote people by their contributions and according to the qualifications I saw there for jobs I am qualified to be the CEO and I have told the CEO, I want the job.

Other Employee Reviews for 3M

"The name on the resume is worthwhile but not a happy place to work."

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Maplewood, MN

Pros

The internship program is good and they are actively working to make it better. They have a lot of services for employees. The benefits are changing and while not as good as they once were they are still not bad.

Cons

Too big, you are just a number. Stifling atmosphere. People are just counting their time to retirement. Not an upbeat place to work. Not enough variety in duties, everything is very compartmentalized. Too much emphasis on degrees and where they came from.

Advice to Management

Lighten up, take off the starched collars and interact with the employees, you might find some great hidden talent. While still a solid company they are overlooking some great people.

"Good Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bedford Park, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bedford Park, IL

Pros

Family friendly, excellent pay, great benefits, flexible schedule of hours, good communication, good working conditions, management was very personable. A good place to work.

Cons

Old warehouse, needed alot of updating, could only advance so far at this location due to everyone staying until they retired!

Advice to Management

Always be open with your employees regarding the state of the company. It's good to know what's going on at the top.