7-Eleven - Over worked and underpaid | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for 7-Eleven

"Over worked and underpaid"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Tonawanda, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at 7-Eleven full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some of the sales associates

Cons

Our manager has NO CLUE how to run his store. He does not even know the basics. He does not even know how to run a register. He sits in the office all day pretending he is doing something and demeans his associates. Expects his minimum wage employees to do his work because he does not know how to do it himself and is unwilling to learn or ask.

Advice to Management

Employee managers that know how to run a store and manage it. A store manager should never ask an employee to do something he is not willing to do himself or doesn't know how to do. This makes for a very stressful work environment when you have a manager that can't even work alone for an hour or two but expects his employees to work 8 or 9 hour shits and to pick up his slack. Customers are getting frustrated also and we are losing sales because of management.

Other Employee Reviews for 7-Eleven

"Frustrating"

Current Employee - Guest Experience Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 7-Eleven full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Company car
    * Flexible schedule
    * Some very down-to-earth and enjoyable coworkers
    * A paycheck

Cons

* Politicking--difficult to trust "the team" when "the team" is only focused on getting ahead
    * Mindless work--not a good fit for those hoping to use their mind
    * Horrible communication
    * Disorder (company is rapidly growing)--though this also creates opportunities for career progression
    * Changing job descriptions, including the potential for being forced to relocate for a month or more

Advice to Management

Hire the right employee to the job, dont just hire to hire. Recognize employees for their skillsets, not their ability to blow smoke. Understand that the bad economy provides 7-Eleven the ability to take advantage of employees and to keep them in positions that hinder their professional future; but when the economy turns around the employees will also turn.

"More work, less pay."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at 7-Eleven full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

7-Eleven has been great in having me do a variety of tasks, from simple running the register, to ordering products. I feel as though I have been able to gain more retail experience by working for 7-Eleven.

Cons

There are many. I work at a Mobil/7-Eleven. I was with Mobil prior to the switchover. The amount of work that is asked of a Sales Associate is much more than what was asked for a Mobil Sales Associate. And the starting pay is just above minimum wage. When I started at Mobil in 2009, I started with $8.30 with a loyalty raise after three months to $8.50. 7-Eleven has no such benefits. I have friends who were hired after the switchover. I feel bad that they get paid so little compared to me doing all the tasks assigned. In addition, 7-Eleven does not have a 3rd shift pay compensation. Mobil did (about a quarter or two more per hour).

Advice to Management

Treat employees right with fair pay. Convenience stores aren't easy to run, especially with all these required tasks.