84 Lumber - Fast paced. | Glassdoor

"Fast paced."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slidell, LA
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Slidell, LA

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The income potential is high for outside sales persons and anyone with a head on their shoulders, a sense for economics, the gift of gab and a strong back can go from rags to not so raggedy with 84.

Cons

It's a good old boys club. If your not white, be prepared for a constant non stop game of king of the hill. It's like being the new guy even when there is a new new guy.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your computer systems and I don't mean mimic Lowe's or Home Depot, I mean you need to put some real money in it and become the very cutting edge in tech applied to building retail. It's time to stop being on the back end of this one. Forget bumper stickers. Think Smart Phone App, that a contractor can use to place his order directly to the system before he even gets in the truck, complete with estimated delivery times, etc. You behind the power curve, so I threw that last bit in for free (mind you, I haven't been around in a while so you folks might have already thought of and implemented this, but I doubt it, and I don't doubt that if you don't take this advise from someone soon, you won't see acceptable corporate growth this decade). 84 is the new Kmart. Stop doing that and be Target instead.

Other Employee Reviews for 84 Lumber

1. "Honesty, Integrity.... Not here folks!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay attention early on and you can become a virtual expert about the LBM industry and retailing in the industry. The training, while dumbed down considerably from a decade and a half ago, Will provide you the necessary tools to springboard virtually anywhere you want to go in the industry

Cons

LONG HOURS, purposely & consistently short staffed at store level. Poor communication from top management down, seeming lack of clear goals coming from upper management. Lots of nepotism and game playing, their is a definite lack of honesty and integrity coming from upper management, clearly the Area Managers are pawns to carry out agendas. The shadier you are to cover up a problems and save a buck, the more you are esteemed by 84. Honesty will not reward you with this company Current compensation/bonus structure defeats the "team" mentality that helped make 84 great in the mid 90's.

Advice to Management

Quit putting the cart in front of the horse, stop micromanaging. Above all be honest with your people and your customers. The second most important thing to a happy customer is happy employees in the trenches that work to keep the customers happy and coming back!!

"Hard work pays off but patience is a virtue."

Current Employee - Dispatcher/Warehouse/Yard/Co-manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Dispatcher/Warehouse/Yard/Co-manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

started at the bottom at $8.00 per hour. Worked my way up to manager in about 5 years and made over 100k 3 years in a row. However the downturn of the housing market caused my store to be closed in 2011. They did move me to another store as an assistant manager and I didn't have to move. Company is very good about keeping you employed if your willing to move or take on other roles,etc. When times are good the compensation is great and so are the benefits.

Cons

When times are tough like right now, the money is just so-so. Very,very,very,very understaffed, which requires each person to do so much work that evryone at the store is burnt out. Corporate "red tape" makes doing daily operational duties like ordering material very difficult. Overall it takes a lot more time and effort to do daily things than it really should. Leaning towards being management heavy. Very very very difficult to get time off other than weekends. If one person at the store is gone for a day or a week it puts a huge strain on the rest of the associates.

Advice to Management

The "cart" before the "horse" mentality looks good on paper but when you go out and land big accounts before you have the staff to support it, all that does is create problems being able to come thru for existing accounts, i.e. timely deliveries, accurate orders, etc. Then you burn out the staff because they can't keep up. Asking a new hire to take $8.00 an hour and run a 20,000 square foot warehouse which includes unloading all incoming shipments of stock and special orders, checking them for accuracy, recieving them in the computer, loading outgoing shipments, and a whole lot more is why we have had 4 different people just this year running our warehouse. Increase the pay for store associates and hire from a much more talented and hard working pool of people. You get what you pay for.