84 Lumber - Not a bad job at all | Glassdoor
  1. "Not a bad job at all"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time

Pros

Company really seems to be doing well and getting a lot of work.

Cons

People don’t seem to stay long.

84 Lumber2019-05-15

84 Lumber Response

May 16, 2019Western Office Director

Thank you for your feedback. While some people start and find that 84 Lumber is not for them, over 25% of the people who work for 84 Lumber have been here for 10 years or longer.

1. "Hard work is rewarded here."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sky is the limit with incentive based pay. As close as you can get to running your own business. No politics, promotions are earned and granted.

Cons

Climate can be rough with a blend of inside/outside work. It is still retail which can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Adapt to the next generations, they will be our future. Focus on people development.

84 Lumber2019-07-02

84 Lumber Response

July 8, 2019Western Office Director

Thank you for the feedback. We are working on modernizing our computer systems and training programs.

2. "Great option for a Young Male"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Tons of overtime (Both Con and Pro depending on your view) -84 will typically promote you within 6-10 months -After a year you'll probably be making $50,000+ -Plenty of different avenues to pursue in 84 Lumber after being an MT (Sales, Install Manager, Production, Corporate, etc)

Cons

-Tons of overtime (Both Con and Pro depending on your view) -This job is most definitely physical in some aspect so it can stray young women away -The life/work balance can be difficult (Average 50-60 hrs per week) -Steep learning curve if you don't know anything about the industry but doable -You most likely have to move to promote

Advice to Management

It helps if Manager Trainee's actually learn to manage people. Currently, MT's receive no training regarding the management of people which is imperative to succeed later on.

84 Lumber2019-07-15

Discover more reviews about 84 Lumber.