A + Educational Centers - Get to help kids | Glassdoor

"Get to help kids"

Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You often get to meet great kids and wonderful families. Get to practice basic skills. Often relaxing, but occasionally stressful.

Cons

Compensation for extraneous costs to the tutors is slow, and occasionally not granted, which ultimately comes from my paycheck. From what I know, other companies pay upwards of $20.00 vs a meager $12-15 here. You often have to commute to homes (sometimes far away) and then you only get paid for gas. You often tutor in impoverished neighborhoods.

Sometimes the kids and families are not so nice.

Advice to Management

Pay us more for the work we do. We put ourselves in less than friendly neighborhoods to uplift kids. Don't be so frugal with compensation. At a rate of $80.00 per hour being charged to the Federal Government for kids to get free tutoring it doesn't quite seem right...

Other Employee Reviews for A + Educational Centers

1. "Tutoring Positions"

Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A + Educational Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, usually during after school hours for students attending grades K - 12. You schedule your own students. Also depends a lot of the supervisors, I heard both good and bad, for me it was pure positive experience, supervisors would work with you, and are very helpful.

Cons

There is this annual training that the owner of the company presents, and it has strong emphasis that employees who do not attend would no longer continue with the company, to me, it looks like its a event for the owner to look good and expect everyone to attend and show respect, and the presentation is mainly on company policy, and people who have had positive experiences, with the level of how technical the company is, it is very easy to just schedule people to watch the presentation online instead, would save lots of time.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility for annual company training events, not everyone can always attend on a specific day and time, since this position is part time, employees should have more flexibility and choices to attend. Such as where and when, and possibility of online presentation.

2. "F-"

I worked at A + Educational Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

[x] You get to meet some great families.
    [x] A very rewarding feeling helping your local community and students.
    [x] Honestly, there’s hardly any other positive things I can say about this company.

Cons

[x] Arguably the worst CEO ever.
    [x] Every employee would secretly bad mouth her.
    [x] Pay was extremely low.
    [x] The Nook tablets she would give the kids were cheap and would freeze or stop working on it’s own.
    [x] I worked behind the scenes, and I would hear a lot of shady and unethical stories.
    [x] Owner would cut her admin’s work hours in half and expected the same amount of work to still be done.
    [x] My friend still works for the company as a Tutor and he’s only gotten one raise out of the seven years he’s been there.
    [x] Countless and countless meetings every month that would be counter productive. She would verbally chew you out and make you feel useless.
    [x] Would set unrealistic and unreachable goals for employee incentives(bonuses)
    [x] Fired an entire center because they didn’t meet her standards.
    [x] Would wrongfully fire people, and right before the holidays too.
    [x] People would quit left and right all the time. This provided no stability and everything was disorganized.
    [x] Overall, if I had to have a root canal or work for this company. I would go with the root canal. OUCH.

Advice to Management

[x] Instead of using fear as your tactic, try using the opposite. There's a reason why these type of companies don't exist anymore.
    [x] Become a better person and respect your employees. Treat them with dignity.