A + Educational Centers - Get to help kids | Glassdoor

"Get to help kids"

Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You often get to meet great kids and wonderful families. Get to practice basic skills. Often relaxing, but occasionally stressful.

Cons

Compensation for extraneous costs to the tutors is slow, and occasionally not granted, which ultimately comes from my paycheck. From what I know, other companies pay upwards of $20.00 vs a meager $12-15 here. You often have to commute to homes (sometimes far away) and then you only get paid for gas. You often tutor in impoverished neighborhoods.

Sometimes the kids and families are not so nice.

Advice to Management

Pay us more for the work we do. We put ourselves in less than friendly neighborhoods to uplift kids. Don't be so frugal with compensation. At a rate of $80.00 per hour being charged to the Federal Government for kids to get free tutoring it doesn't quite seem right...

Other Employee Reviews for A + Educational Centers

1. "Tutoring Positions"

Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A + Educational Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, usually during after school hours for students attending grades K - 12. You schedule your own students. Also depends a lot of the supervisors, I heard both good and bad, for me it was pure positive experience, supervisors would work with you, and are very helpful.

Cons

There is this annual training that the owner of the company presents, and it has strong emphasis that employees who do not attend would no longer continue with the company, to me, it looks like its a event for the owner to look good and expect everyone to attend and show respect, and the presentation is mainly on company policy, and people who have had positive experiences, with the level of how technical the company is, it is very easy to just schedule people to watch the presentation online instead, would save lots of time.

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility for annual company training events, not everyone can always attend on a specific day and time, since this position is part time, employees should have more flexibility and choices to attend. Such as where and when, and possibility of online presentation.

"I set up an account just to warn people"

Former Employee - Distance Tutor in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Distance Tutor in South Gate, CA

I worked at A + Educational Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping kids achieve their goals and succeed in school.

Cons

Where do I begin? If you value your sanity, do not work here. You will be harassed and threatened if you do not comply with their demands. It is a company that does not value its employees, but rather the revenue they generate.
    You will be expected to complete annual training that takes at least 4 hours to complete, but will be paid for 2 hours at $10 per hour. The training video alone is 2 hours long and you are required to complete the other paperwork with the video training. You will also be expected to pay for your own fingerprints and a $60 supplies fee on your first check, but will not receive any supplies.

Advice to Management

There are more important things than money.