A Place for Mom - I love it and it one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

"I love it and it one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had."

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Washington, DC

Pros

You can make your schedule flexible, but you need to work over 40 hours to make this job work for you. Expect to put in 60-70 hours your first year. The families love your help; it is very reqarding.

Cons

I don't think a lot of new advisors coming on board quite get the resources that are available to families so developing trust is key. You have to be the expert. Many people are hired from a sales background with little to no senior background work so they tend to be money and numbers driven which is not what this field is about. The sales process is extremely slow which is to be expected in this kind of sales.

Advice to Management

Manage is great! They listen to what we say and try to take what we say and implement it. I think they do a great job.

Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom

"Good Place To Work If You Like Commission Only Work"

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA

Pros

Excellent opportunity to help others. Good income levels after you get past ramp up. Excellent training that is ongoing including technology based training, sales training, and other types of opportunities. Good coaching model both during "early success" and the market phase.

Cons

Ramp up is at least 6 months, so be prepared for this! This job is not for people who are not accustomed to working really, really hard. The average sales cycle in this industry is fairly lengthy, so don't expect quick income!

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a base salary. Even a small one would be more helpful than a recoverable draw. It would also benefit the company to have a better benefits package that is more competitive.

"A Place for Mom often failed to offer its corporate employees the means and support to do their jobs well."

Former Employee - Elder Care Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA

Pros

The Eldercare Resource Coordinator position (or Harvester/Gardener position, as it's known within the company) is a great resume builder for someone looking to get their leg up in sales and communications.

Cons

Eldercare Resource Coordinators are treated far more poorly than the rest of the corporate staff. We were continually promised benefits like commission better chance of raises, but in my time at A Place for Mom, the only change I saw was that our bonuses were completely stripped from us. We were so micromanaged and our actions so scrutinized that there were days I was actually afraid to leave my desk to get coffee or to be seen going to the restroom; and all this doesn't scratch the surface of the company's questionable ethics in general.

Advice to Management

Certainly call numbers are important in this position, and certainly they should be monitored, but we were rarely given constructive feedback as to how to actually do our jobs better. In an industry that deals with such personal and delicate issues as finding housing for loved ones, Eldercare Resource Coordinators should feel empowered enough that they can stop worrying about call numbers and be allowed to care about the quality of the conversations they are having with families.