A Place for Mom - Great Opportunity to gain New Skills and Career Advancement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

"Great Opportunity to gain New Skills and Career Advancement"

Current Employee - Search Engine Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Search Engine Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working for A Place for Mom for almost 2 years and have had several opportunities to gain new experiences and move up within the company. I started as a call center employee right out of college, back when the company was much smaller. After several months of great performance they started having me train the new call center employees. I loved the job and the challenges it presented. I had expressed to my supervisor that I was interested in trying to go to different departments to help with finding a future career. She helped me join a pilot program for the marketing department. My manager helped me every step of the way; from learning the basics to discussing theories and best practices. After a few months I was offered an official position on the team and was beyond excited. I have even become certified through Google and Microsoft.

The travel compensation makes my very long commute easier financially which is great. Plus the sun decks and ping pong tables are a great way to relax and get away from the computer for a few minutes every day.

Cons

Snack budget was cut so there are no longer any free snacks.

Noticeable lack of department interactions. Nearly zero interactions with individuals from other departments.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the practice where we receive monthly updates directly from the CEO. It helps me feel connected to the different departments and keeps me up to date on what is going on in the company.

There should be more office sponsored activities to promote communication and interactions for individuals from other departments. This helps the company create a better work environment because people will be more comfortable knowing the people they work with.

Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom

"Poor team leaders, micromanagement, and no real advancement opportunities."

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The call center has an amazing view, the company will help pay for a bus pass, and some team leaders try really hard to make work as fun as they can.

Cons

There aren't any real advancement opportunities, some team leaders have a penchent for micromanaging, and it felt like I was working in a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, actually promote people.

"The thought behind this company is wonderful. Helping families find safe environments for the seniors they love."

Former Employee - Family Counselor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Family Counselor in Chicago, IL

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved helping families in crisis. To know that you could provide the information that they needed when they were feeling lost was incredible. Loved working from home.

Cons

Too bad that if they didn't have the funds to live in a private pay AL or retirement community that you were pretty much out of luck to help them. I was actually told that if they didn't have the money I needed to 'dump them' and move on to someone who did. I can't tell you how many people I called from my home phone to give them info that would help them, so I wouldn't get in trouble...again...for spending time on families without funds. I accepted the job to help people, and I determined to do just that, whether they had money or not. My last straw was when I needed time off to care for a senior in my own family and was raked across the coals for it. My supervisor actually asked me if I planned on moving hom into a facility, because she would be my counselor. What, so she could get the credit for the move? My background is in senior housing and I can d take care of that myself if I ever need to. Instead I left the company and care for my father myself at home.

Advice to Management

This could be a great company if they learn to treat people with respect and dignity...employees, partner communities and families without huge pockets.