A Place for Mom - Expected to do a lot for little | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

"Expected to do a lot for little"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor
Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Get to actually help families with real life situations and act as a true resource and guide for many families

Cons

Once you start to take leads, you're scrutinized with your production, and working an inconsistent phone schedule. A challenging work life balance if you have a family.

Advice to Management

A salary of $30K for the amount of time needed to get going isn't justified. Also a mileage reimbursement of .20/mile is ridiculous.

Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom

"Worst Experience, Ever"

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home and helping families.

Cons

For any serious sales professional this company is a joke. I was a 6+ figure sales professional in real estate who concentrated on the senior market. I was a "perfect" (according to my recruiter) match for this company. They will find any way possible to not pay you. Only pay once they have collected and expect you as an eldercare advisor to help collect past due fees. I was hired to help families, not as a a/r specialist. The commission structure is laughable. They expect you to develop "professional" referral from doctors, lawyers, cpa's, financial planners and such. Have you ever actually tried to get an appointment with a physician? My coach actually said she took homemade baked goods and dropped them off to create good will and referrals. Crazy! The only positive is when you actually get to help families. However, I've placed 7 families since I started in May and have yet to have a fee paid by a partner property. Plus, the total commissions for those 7 placements don't even match the miniscule draw against commission that they pay. Have you ever actually had anyone listen in to your phone calls and IM you while you are on the call? Just wait - it's going to happen. They come in 15 minutes into the call and missed all of the pertinent details, but feel compelled to "help" you with the call. I IM'd back, get off my call, I'll talk with you later. They count how many hours you are on the phone, but don't provide you with enough leads in the beginning to make those numbers. This entire business model is a crock. You can make more $ working part-time for a gym. If you truly care about working with the senior population, which I do, please, please, seek other options. Work for a home care company, get your CNA and work Hospice, go back to school and get an RN. Anything but this company. I sincerely hope that since they were acquired Warner Pincus things have improved. I recommend you run, run, run, away as fast as you can.

"Ok, very cliquish"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

~ Fascinating and growing industry
    ~ Smart people
    ~ Depending on the group you're working with you might now have to work that hard

Cons

~ Benefits are awful
    ~ High turnover
    ~ Very cliquish. There is a small group that has worked together before and it is hard to break into that group as they always socialize with each other
    ~ Lack of transparency with decision making
    ~ It feels like the leadership team doesn't trust anyone

Advice to Management

Focus more on the mission, values and culture