A2 Hosting - One of the best remote positions you can have | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"One of the best remote positions you can have"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chattanooga, TN
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at A2 Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best benefits in the industry and out; PTO/Subsidized health/dental/vision 401k, flex spending. I received better benefits here then any other place both online and brick and mortar.

Management is open to new ideas, lots of organization, no micro management even as the company grows, they do offer company outings but they are in Michigan where the HQ is, discounted products, very flexible scheduling.

Cons

Growing pains; The company is growing, you have to be willing to grow with it, which means policy change from week to week, changes in software, marketing, etc etc.

Advice to Management

You are growing; Offer regional or international travel and one or two meetups for employees. It is expensive, but it get people out of their homes/offices and engaging with mgmt face to face, co workers.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Avoid this place unless you just have to have a remote job"

Current Employee - L1 Support in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - L1 Support in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at A2 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Let’s you work remotely
    - flexible work hours

Cons

- low pay
    - will try to find a way to not pay your bonus
    - tells you that you will spend a maximum of 4 hours on the phone a day but then regularly puts you on for 8 hours
    - servers are horrible and always getting DDoSed
    - asks you to do development work for customers instead of sticking by their own statement of support
    - horribly expensive benefits package
    - will not reimburse for equipment necessary to do job
    - the cons can just keep going

Advice to Management

Look to the way your competitors succeed and emulate it. Stop handing out free development services and stand up a development arm of your company. Stop lying to people when they get hired on about expectations. PAY THE BONUS YOU SAY YOU WILL.

A2 Hosting Response

Oct 8, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

I'm sorry you seemed to have a bad experience at A2 Hosting. We do our best to be clear about expectations prior to a new Team Members first day. All performance bonuses are paid out according to the... More

"Revolving Door Hiring"

Former Employee - Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Support Specialist

I worked at A2 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working from home can be nice

- They tend to be understanding if you're unable to work a shift or an emergency comes up

- Some of the shift leads are nice and helpful

Cons

- You have to work for 90 days before you qualify for benefits; coincidentally, I was fired at the end of my 90 day period. This seems to happen to a lot of people. Funny how that works.

- High turnover rate, probably because of the above. You constantly hear that "A2 is Always Hiring," probably because they hire people then fire than after 90 days repeatedly to save costs on paying benefits to their workers.

- Staffing issues; on one of my shifts we had someone leave, and their position wasn't replaced over a 2 month period. Meaning we were down a person on that shift for 2 months and had to bear more work.

- Speaking of staffing issues, new employees will be expected to work weekends, which tend to be staffed minimally and thus creates more stress for workers on those shifts.

- The sales team is staffed minimally, so often you'll be forced to take calls and questions on Sales issues, something you're not trained in.

- The internal support network is virtually non-existent; L2s are often too busy to assist, and even if they can assist half they time they'll get snotty with you and won't help. It does not feel like a helpful working team environment at all.

- A lot of misleading landing pages set up by the marketing team exclusively for SEO purposes, that promise customers thing that are often unreasonable (for example, dedicated hosting for a specific type of CMS on shared hosting plans that can barely handle that CMS if at all). As frontline support you bear the brunt of dealing with customers who feel like they've been mislead

- Training is extremely minimal; was almost entirely focused on how to use the ticketing system and about cPanel. Nothing about how to work on the phone, which sucks if you've never done that before as it can be very stressful and demanding

- 99% of the focus is on Linux and cPanel, but you're still expected to field questions and support for Plesk and Windows issues

- Because of how the workflow is set up, you often have co-workers giving incorrect/wrong information to a customer, who you will have to deal with later.

- Most customers are nice, but there's a lot of really needy and rude customers. Management is often too preoccupied to assist you with them so you'll need to bear with a customer screaming at you.

- Also because of how the workflow is set up, there's no way to get past a ticket/issue you have no way of how to resolve, so you'll get behind on work and that hurts whatever metrics management looks at

- Incredibly vague expectations for employees.

- A bunch of typical tech company cultural problems; smug know-it-all-ism when you ask for advice on something you don't know about (especially if it's about Windows, a lot of smug jokes from Linux dorks and nothing constructive), some casual racism and jokes about people with disabilities here and there

Advice to Management

Give concrete expectations and clear expectations to your employees instead of saying vague things about "metrics." Also, stop with the hiring and firing people after 90 days business, it's really transparent and sleazy.

A2 Hosting Response

Jul 18, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience, that is certainly not what we want or expect for our Team Members. While it is true that A2 is hiring, that is because we are growing significantly... More

Discover more reviews about A2 Hosting.