AACR - non-profit that helps you to feel good about what you do all day | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AACR

"non-profit that helps you to feel good about what you do all day"

Former Employee - Staff Associate
Former Employee - Staff Associate

I worked at AACR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers, advancement, just out of college - great job! travel, room for growth

Cons

some micromanaging supervisors, like all other jobs

Other Employee Reviews for AACR

"Toxic Culture with Good People"

Former Employee - Publications Department in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Publications Department in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AACR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees care about their jobs and the mission of the organization.

Convenient Old City location.

Some departments are flexible about taking earned PTO.

Cons

No professional development.

No management training.

Extremely difficult to advance.

Toxic culture overall.

Hostile workplace in some departments; hostile HR department that will laugh at you for complaints, lie to you, and publicly demean you for their own mistakes.

Absurdly depressed wages.

Extreme top-down management style.

Your experience here heavily depends on the department to which you are hired and the head of that department. Publications tries very hard to ensure that employees are at least happy in their positions, but the CEO and HR thwart any opportunity to actually reward employees for their hard work and dedication.

Individuals who have been with the company for a very long time act as though they're a part of a cabal, and go on power trips accordingly.

There is very little work-life balance, and no work from home or flex time is allowed, even for employees with terminal illnesses that preclude traveling to the office. Our jobs are 100% online. This is because the CEO refuses to allow it for anyone unless she gives them special permission.

CEO insists on approving all yearly performance reviews and merit raises, despite her rarely being in the office. This made sense when the organization had 50 people. The organization now has nearly 300 employees. Despite promising to revamp the review schedule, as of my resignation our reviews were over a month late and employees had gone over a year without receiving their laughably small merit increases.

If you work hard, you will not have enough work to do for the day, and will wind up staring at the wall for lack of anything stimulating.

Individuals who do not do their work will not be punished, and you will be asked to pick up their slack time and time again.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, fire nearly everyone in HR

"Do. Not. Work. Here."

I worked at AACR full-time

Pros

AACR has a wonderful mission and provides invaluable support to its scientific members.

Cons

I joined this organization because I have a passion for fighting cancer, but should have trusted my gut when I came in for an interview that this wasn't the place to focus my efforts. The culture is toxic. While there are good-hearted people who work there, people are living in fear of leadership (specifically the CEO Dr. Foti) who discourage personality at work. Nobody would ask me how my weekend was or put effort in to learning about my personal life. This wasn't because they are all bad people, but because people got in trouble for being loud at work or even WEARING HEADPHONES while working.

I was also hired for a position that didn't have enough work assigned to it. My manager was the worst manager I've ever had. I brought my concerns about my light workload to him several times, and he never took it seriously. He's the main reason I only lasted there 9 months.

If you value vacation time, flexible hours and working from home, this is not the place for you. We got 10 total vacation days for the year, were clocked as to when we arrived and left, and couldn't ever work from home. I now work for a place that trusts its employees to do their work and isn't as strict about your hours if you get your work done - it's the way all organizations should run.

The HR department is probably THE reason so many of my friends and colleagues have left. I had a very honest exit interview with the head of HR and have no faith that my concerns were followed up on. My friends would bring serious concerns about harassment as far up as the head of HR and they weren't taken seriously or investigated. Younger employees concerns are not taken seriously by anyone within the organization, and that's why there has been such a mass exodus of younger staff from AACR over the past year.

Advice to Management

Recruit a new CEO who values happy employees and new ideas. Revitalize the HR department with individuals who actually advocate for employees. Provide management training to all managers so that employees are at least supported in the jobs they were hired to do.