ABB - Average Employee rates and average company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ABB

"Average Employee rates and average company"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Wickliffe, OH
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Wickliffe, OH

Pros

ABB is a Large Company with good benefits. There are many opportunities in other parts of the company if you don't like where you are presently. A large company also rides the vissisitudes of the market easier than a small company. Perhaps the best reason is the benefits. The company does more than it has to in some areas. 401k is average. Vacation is wonderful as is the severence package if you're unlucky enough to use it. They also have good tuition reimbursement and adoption benefits. If you woud rather loaf than work, ABB is the place for you. It's easy to hide in a nook or cranny of the corporate structure if you want.

Cons

Large Company with much politics. Trying to get anything done quickly is impossible. As a marketing manager, it was very difficult working with marketing communications (the people who are responsible for corporate image and rule of how documents and other media should look.) They always shot down our ideas because they didn't fit with the European mentality, even though they fit perfectly with a US customer. ABB is a European company which means most discisions are by committee and consensous instead of a dictator style. Trying to get consensous on everything is impossible or you end up with something that no one likes. The Web site was terrible when I was there but it's improved a bit since then.

Advice to Management

Learn how to integrate the ABB portion of the company with the Bailey Controls part of the company better. Job swap programs between Sweden or Switzerland (or Germany) and the US would be helpful. It seems that the Bailey controls sub-group is still thinking like Bailey controls while the European ABB group is pushing things down the necks of the US group without thinking about ramifications.

Other Employee Reviews for ABB

1. "ABB is a great company to grow professionally"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Jefferson City, MO

Pros

ABB is a very large company where employees have opportunity to grow, either
    in the same area or into something else. It is a great place to grow professionally.
    However, it may not have many opportunities available for promotios within the same
    branch one is at, so at times, to move forward, it is necessary to move within the industry
    to other cities / plants.

Cons

It depends in which city the company is located at and the culture of the people.
    ABB sells itself as a company that welcomes / accepts diversity. However, when
    you are inside the company, if you think different or come from a culture which
    is different from the culture of the city the company is located at, it might be very
    challeging for them to accept you and incorporate you into their culture.
    At times I felt discriminated for the treatment I was receiving from being from a
    different country and having different beliefs. The way they advertise diversity
    is very different that what it is in the real life.

Advice to Management

To focus on developing the people. Spend time in creating a nice environment for employees
    who work inside the company. Have appreciation for people's work, encourage people
    to move forward. It pays off, the results will show!

"ABB is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Front End Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Sales in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

A career at ABB is what you make of it. If you have a great deal of drive and initiative, you'll be allowed to pursue any opportunities and/or roles you desire. My experience has been quite positive and I feel I've been given the opportunity to pursue any interests I have. Additionally, as someone who has held several different roles in different business units, it's great to be able to move around in ABB with little effort from a systems and IT perspective. Regardless where you are in the world and working for ABB, most of the IT systems are relatively the same.

Cons

Any company of this size has communication challenges. In the past 5 years most of the boundaries within ABB have come down and improvements are being made. However, I firmly believe that any organization has room to improve its communication. I would like to see objectives set for the business as a whole so all functions are heading in the same direction and working towards the same goals. Too often it seems each factory, function or business unit has their own marching orders which conflict at times. As I mentioned earlier, it's improved considerably but still has room to grow if we really want ABB firing on all cylinders.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more openly communicated strategic objectives which are defined, measured and worked towards.