ABM Industries - Bait and switch | Glassdoor

"Bait and switch"

Former Contractor - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Former Contractor - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ABM Industries as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Lots of assignments/contract jobs
*At the right site, you can learn a lot from journeyman
*Pay rate is above average for similar positions

Cons

*Contracted jobs can be short-term and subject to change (both location and duration of assignment)
*False promises of being offered to convert to permanent position
*Account managers do not screen their supervisors in-depth

Advice to Management

Please better screen personnel who are put in supervisory positions. I've worked at several sites, under contract, only to learn that many of my supervisors knew very little regarding; maintaining inventory, identifying the materials needed, and providing no training or guidance. Many times I've had to manage the area and other utility engineers on my own. Lastly, if there are 2 spots available, which lead to a permanent union position, please be honest about this from the start. Many of my co-workers were all mislead, falsely believing that we all would obtain a permanent position, after our 90 day probation. The reality was, only 2 positions were available, and many "more qualified" people were denied the positions. We were only told this on our 85th day or later, which left us no time to line-up another job. This has happened on several assignments I was employed at, so clearly there is improvement needed on this topic. In fact it would be beneficial to inform all those hired, upfront, which would create a competition, and motivate people to work harder while on the clock.

Other Employee Reviews for ABM Industries

"Upper Management Doesn't Care About Us!"

Current Employee - Janitorial Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Janitorial Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at ABM Industries part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is easy to get a job at ABM as a janitor - all you have to do is show up and show your documents to be hired by this company. There is a union in Houston that fights for our benefits and wages, so that is nice, but overall, the management team doesn't really care about us.

Cons

We clean the buildings and are the ones that actually make the money for the company, but Management doesn't care about us because we are Hispanic and they are White. I have seen many White managers get promoted to upper level management because they are friends with the CEO and his top team, so it is difficult to actually advance in this company unless you are one of the favored ones.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and realize that your janitors are the ones that keep you employed.

2. "supervisor review"

Current Employee - Janitorial Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Janitorial Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regular and consistent full time work. Union for employees. Very good policies. Large company with opportunities to move around

Cons

Much favoritism. Fairly unsafe if un-liked by management. Hard workers are not always appreciated.

Advice to Management

Keep better pulse of workers and supervisors. Create way for good workers filling in gaps of others lack, including management, to be noticed backed and appreciated. It can only help the company overall. Watch for favoritism and lack of policies being followed.