ABM Industries - Chaotic | Glassdoor

"Chaotic"

Current Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people were nice and in general the atmosphere was pleasant enough. It was interesting to learn about the different services ABM offered.

Cons

It was difficult to figure out exactly what senior management wanted and whether their expectations were realistic. Management did not seem to appreciate opinions that differed from their own.

Other Employee Reviews for ABM Industries

"Bait and switch"

Former Contractor - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ABM Industries as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Lots of assignments/contract jobs
    *At the right site, you can learn a lot from journeyman
    *Pay rate is above average for similar positions

Cons

*Contracted jobs can be short-term and subject to change (both location and duration of assignment)
    *False promises of being offered to convert to permanent position
    *Account managers do not screen their supervisors in-depth

Advice to Management

Please better screen personnel who are put in supervisory positions. I've worked at several sites, under contract, only to learn that many of my supervisors knew very little regarding; maintaining inventory, identifying the materials needed, and providing no training or guidance. Many times I've had to manage the area and other utility engineers on my own. Lastly, if there are 2 spots available, which lead to a permanent union position, please be honest about this from the start. Many of my co-workers were all mislead, falsely believing that we all would obtain a permanent position, after our 90 day probation. The reality was, only 2 positions were available, and many "more qualified" people were denied the positions. We were only told this on our 85th day or later, which left us no time to line-up another job. This has happened on several assignments I was employed at, so clearly there is improvement needed on this topic. In fact it would be beneficial to inform all those hired, upfront, which would create a competition, and motivate people to work harder while on the clock.

"Avoid Cleveland and LA regional offices"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Part of large organization with deep, vertical integration and sophistication.

Cons

Parking division is immaterial and gets slighted in support resources, disproportionate to its high risk.
    Financial reporting systems are ineffective user-hostile byzantine labyrinths not designed for central control and monitoring of site operations.

Advice to Management

Set the tone at the top for ethical behavior. Put clients' interests before your own. Think beyond the current quarter results. At least pretend to care about the rank and file employees.