ACT - Great People, Mission Driven | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ACT

"Great People, Mission Driven"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ACT is a Mission Driven Not-For-Profit. This is not a place to work if you're a climber, focusing on your income only. People work here for the quality of life, the beautiful campus and facility, wellness programs, unbelievable benefits, and fair pay for an NFP.

Cons

Biggest con of working here is the organization is undergoing a major reorganization as they modernize systems, process, and try to help their people adapt to the rapidly changing world of assessment. ACT has been doing the same things for a long time really well, it is working through a good many changes and there are a few bumps!

Advice to Management

People coming in from the outside are not necessarily better than the loyal employees who are invested in the company and it's future. Focus on clearer succession and promotion planning for people who deserve it. Make the people you currently employ, their development and skill improvement your focus.

Other Employee Reviews for ACT

"Used to be great, now I want to throw up in my mouth."

Current Employee - Specialist in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some benefits are above average. The campus is nice.

Cons

Zero loyalty to existing staff. They'll outsource you in a heartbeat if they find a way and think it saves them even a nickel. I haven't been reached yet but I know it's only a matter of time.

Incompetent management. The CEO is an imbecile with no understanding of the business and is known to fall asleep during key meetings. The strategic goals are never met and change far too often.

Insecurity. We were encouraged by management to contribute good reviews to offset reviews by those who left voluntarily or who were recently outsourced. Who does that?

Advice to Management

Most senior management does not care about the long-term well-being of ACT and are in it to pad resumes in the short term. They should all resign and be ashamed of what they did to a once-great company. I really mean this.

"A good place to work"

Former Employee - Test Development Associate in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Test Development Associate in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Humane, fairly enlightened work environment. The CEO and upper management are agents of change. The old guard is moving out and a much different profile exists now. Acts competitive although it is a nonprofit. Beautiful campus. Much improved internal communication. Departments may vary, but I found my input valued no matter what position I held. Onsite cafeteria a plus. Easy access from I-80 a plus for commuters.

Cons

Pay could be better; benefits are average to above average.

Advice to Management

Keep on the path you have already charted.