ACT - Used to be great, now I want to throw up in my mouth. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ACT

"Used to be great, now I want to throw up in my mouth."

Current Employee - Specialist in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Specialist in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some benefits are above average. The campus is nice.

Cons

Zero loyalty to existing staff. They'll outsource you in a heartbeat if they find a way and think it saves them even a nickel. I haven't been reached yet but I know it's only a matter of time.

Incompetent management. The CEO is an imbecile with no understanding of the business and is known to fall asleep during key meetings. The strategic goals are never met and change far too often.

Insecurity. We were encouraged by management to contribute good reviews to offset reviews by those who left voluntarily or who were recently outsourced. Who does that?

Advice to Management

Most senior management does not care about the long-term well-being of ACT and are in it to pad resumes in the short term. They should all resign and be ashamed of what they did to a once-great company. I really mean this.

Other Employee Reviews for ACT

"A good place to work"

Former Employee - Test Development Associate in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Test Development Associate in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Humane, fairly enlightened work environment. The CEO and upper management are agents of change. The old guard is moving out and a much different profile exists now. Acts competitive although it is a nonprofit. Beautiful campus. Much improved internal communication. Departments may vary, but I found my input valued no matter what position I held. Onsite cafeteria a plus. Easy access from I-80 a plus for commuters.

Cons

Pay could be better; benefits are average to above average.

Advice to Management

Keep on the path you have already charted.

"Excellent Place, Great People, Noble Mission"

Current Employee - Senior Investigative Data Analyst in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Investigative Data Analyst in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Modern corporate structure, and very collectivist and empowering culture, where at the end of the day, if something's good for the company and our mission as a whole, it's welcomed, not discouraged. In the past the structure was more hierarchical, but in the recent years, things are dramatically improving for the better, with internal barriers breaking down, and less isolated "silos" than ever before in ACT's past. I highly reccommend this company to anyone. Furthermore, you sleep well at night, knowing your work is improving the quality of education, not only nationwide, but internationally as well, and more and more each day as we expand our reach.

Cons

This was really hard to think of anything for this category, but if I had to stretch, I'd say more money is always an enternal goal for any workforce, but I haven't had the notion that it's really any worse here than competitors are willing to pay, and I'd say pay is competitive, albeit not astoundingly better than other places would pay. I don't know, perhaps if you don't like the snow, the winters can get a bit harsh.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but continue to remain aware of your competitors, in order to not only continue recruiting the best talent, but also to keep them here.