ACT - Knew I was going to quit on my second day | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ACT

"Knew I was going to quit on my second day"

Former Employee - Temp Slave in Iowa City, IA
Former Employee - Temp Slave in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus is nice to walk around during breaks. Good for college students with no job experience who want to make more than minimum wage.

Cons

By objective standards, I was doing as much work as 6 of my coworkers put together, yet there was no motivation or reward for doing so.

If you enjoy sitting in a poorly lit, barren basement for 8 hours a day with a bunch of unemployed college grads grading an endless amount of tests, this is the job for you. Do you know what our thanks was for finishing all the test grading early? Losing our jobs.

If you happen to earn a raise/promotion as a temp, expect to lose it on the next project. There is zero job security, and they dangle the prospect of a full-time job on the temps (over 50% of the company are temp), yet you might as well play the lottery with those odds. There is nothing here to even hint at encouraging employees to get work done and many of the longtime temps (some have been there for 6 years!) sit on facebook all day without reprimand or termination.

I left as soon as the project was over, and never looked back.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like actual people, and fire the incompetent management.

Other Employee Reviews for ACT

"Loving and challenging"

Former Employee - Facilitastor in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Facilitastor in Carlisle, PA

I worked at ACT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for ACT, because every day was a new day. Becky Varner was a great boss and way always available to talk.

Cons

I had to work the weekends and overnight shift, which meant that I missed out on my weekends with my husband.

Advice to Management

I loved my boss and how she worked, but I think she needs an assistant to take care of the paperwork and minor stuff while she then can focus on the bigger issues.

"Good while it lasted"

I worked at ACT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great staff. I made many long term friendships while employed at ACT.

Cons

New leadership doesn't value long term employees. Trying to change everything at once. Company promised early retirement option to many and then discontinued it. Lots of people were counting on that plan. Many people were counting on ACT being a life-time employer, but are now unemployed due to outsourcing.

Advice to Management

Need to trim down the upper management. Way too many chiefs. Brought in too many business types and not enough education experts. Need to clean house starting at the very top.