ACT - Knew I was going to quit on my second day | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ACT

"Knew I was going to quit on my second day"

Former Employee - Temp Slave in Iowa City, IA
Former Employee - Temp Slave in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus is nice to walk around during breaks. Good for college students with no job experience who want to make more than minimum wage.

Cons

By objective standards, I was doing as much work as 6 of my coworkers put together, yet there was no motivation or reward for doing so.

If you enjoy sitting in a poorly lit, barren basement for 8 hours a day with a bunch of unemployed college grads grading an endless amount of tests, this is the job for you. Do you know what our thanks was for finishing all the test grading early? Losing our jobs.

If you happen to earn a raise/promotion as a temp, expect to lose it on the next project. There is zero job security, and they dangle the prospect of a full-time job on the temps (over 50% of the company are temp), yet you might as well play the lottery with those odds. There is nothing here to even hint at encouraging employees to get work done and many of the longtime temps (some have been there for 6 years!) sit on facebook all day without reprimand or termination.

I left as soon as the project was over, and never looked back.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like actual people, and fire the incompetent management.

Other Employee Reviews for ACT

"Loving and challenging"

Former Employee - Facilitastor in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Facilitastor in Carlisle, PA

I worked at ACT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for ACT, because every day was a new day. Becky Varner was a great boss and way always available to talk.

Cons

I had to work the weekends and overnight shift, which meant that I missed out on my weekends with my husband.

Advice to Management

I loved my boss and how she worked, but I think she needs an assistant to take care of the paperwork and minor stuff while she then can focus on the bigger issues.

"Great People, Mission Driven"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ACT is a Mission Driven Not-For-Profit. This is not a place to work if you're a climber, focusing on your income only. People work here for the quality of life, the beautiful campus and facility, wellness programs, unbelievable benefits, and fair pay for an NFP.

Cons

Biggest con of working here is the organization is undergoing a major reorganization as they modernize systems, process, and try to help their people adapt to the rapidly changing world of assessment. ACT has been doing the same things for a long time really well, it is working through a good many changes and there are a few bumps!

Advice to Management

People coming in from the outside are not necessarily better than the loyal employees who are invested in the company and it's future. Focus on clearer succession and promotion planning for people who deserve it. Make the people you currently employ, their development and skill improvement your focus.