ADT Security Services - Big waste of time. | Glassdoor

"Big waste of time."

Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative
Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative

Pros

1. ADT has great benefits such as: Medical & Dental Insurance, 401k, Life Insurance, Disability, Paid Vacation.

2. Flexible hours.

Cons

1. When you start you will be paid on training wages that will slowly start to decrease as time goes on. Then after 2 months, all of your paycheck will be based on commission for each sale you make. So if you don't make a sale for a week, you will be paid little or nothing. That's walking on thin ice for a lot of people, including myself.

2. Instead of providing a vehicle for you to drive when you make your calls, you have to drive your own vehicle. So be prepared to put A LOT of miles on your vehicle.

3. Self-Generated Leads(SGL's) are appointments that you create yourself through several methods such as phone calls, door knocking, etc. ADT is very strict on SGL's and you do not make SGL sales, you will be pulled from Telemar (Company Leads) until you make SGL sales.

Advice to Management

1.Please realize that the economy is not in the best shape right now. People want to buy a system but they simply cannot afford one. ADT great equipment and monitoring, but the price is a little high. Come down on the prices.

2. Two Words: COMPANY VEHICLES. Provide your reps with a vehicle to travel to their appointments in instead of adding wear and tear to their own cars. Also, a company credit card to only use for gas for the company vehicle.

3. Have some guaranteed compensation to their paycheck even when they don't make any sales for the week. Commission only pay is not exactly the best way to pay you bills.

Other Employee Reviews for ADT Security Services

1. "Rewarding"

Former Employee - Sales Manager/Residential Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Sales Manager/Residential Sales Specialist

Pros

A lot of money to be made if your a hard worker. Great benefits, flexibility and chance for promotions.

Cons

Upper management somewhat out of touch with the sales environment. Very numbers driven. Commission only, if you do not work hard you will not pay yourself. Stay away from the politics and worry only about yourself and you will do well.

Advice to Management

Get in better touch with your local offices and how there ran. Some lower management should not be managing.

"Disappointing, frustrating, and rigged - just barely better than nothing"

Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative

Pros

Flexibility of schedule

The commission pay is pretty fair. When you sell something, you get paid for it - period.

Cons

No product training. I started in the summer of '10 and never had any training on the camera systems we sell until Feb '11. Even though we have multiple, very good cameras to sell, our manager just wanted us to sell the one, bottom-of the-line model. It is a disservice to the customer and impeded our ability to propose the best solution to the customer.

Few leads. We are supposed to have an assigned territory. Yet another new employee receives leads for what I thought was my territory. It seems that leads are parsed out by the sales manager however they see fit - meaning that he/she can pick and choose favorites.

Favoritism. Like the above comment, the sales manager gets leads to him or herself, fairly frequently. He/She then chooses who gets those sales - it is totally up to that person's discretion and can put some people over quota or keep others from achieving quota.

Marketing - there is next to none for the small business market.

Sales strategy - get in first and get in cheapest. That's it. We're not really trained on what makes our products better. In fact, there is little to no product training at all.

Organization - sucks. It is filled with backbiting and distrust and blame. No one works together - in fact, most departments work against others, and the sales reps and customers pay.

Time management - reps are required to make 200 calls per week. Yet if you're out on the road making sales, even if you're exceeding your quota, you're still threatened with action if you do not make your 200 calls. The sales are secondary, it seems, to meeting the number of calls you have to make.

Call lists - need to be more defined by territory. Three of us reps frequently receive the same lists and subsequently call on the same customers. This is frustrating for us and the customers and a waste of time for us as well. And it does not make us look good to the community.

Advice to Management

Territories need to be more readily and consistently defined and not moved around at the whim of the manager. There needs to be equity in how leads are distributed. Someone needs to be in charge of the office to ensure that all departments work together. There needs to be marketing to the small business demographic. And there needs to be product training so we at least get to see what we're selling, but particularly so we know what we're selling and can speak to it with knowledge and experience.