AECOM - Local Experience - Good; Corporate Systems - Terrible! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

"Local Experience - Good; Corporate Systems - Terrible!"

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

The people in the local office are well versed in their specific knowledge bases; large pool of resources within the company; technical groups within the company have been very helpful and knowledgable; local management understands the challenges of working within the horrible corporate systems. In effect - the people make it possible to put up with the corporate madness.

Cons

Horrible corporate systems for managing projects - too much focus on profit and not enough focus on client satisfaction and the actual engineering/geological/etc. work that we are paid to do. Overanalysis does not equal increased profit! I have very little confidence in corporate management.

Advice to Management

To the corporate office - stop sending "brochure" like emails to employees. If you have to constantly
"sell" the benefits of the company to employees then you're not doing it right!

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"You're either with us or against us."

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

Pros

* 401k - 6% match, 3% is stock, 3% is cash (I would prefer 100% cash) - 3 years vesting

* Tuition Reimbursement (5k/yr) - 3 year service required

* Various benefits (different insurance providers) - Good if you need a PPO or HMO and they have a lot of various providers. Insurance payments are fair (not 100% by employer though). Not quite sure the of the split.

* Relocation Assistance (1 year service required) - Good if you transfer to another global location.

* Global locations - You can transfer to other locations, it's a bit dependent on need, luck and other factors. Good way to work abroad though. Your mileage may vary as some officers are better than others.

* ENR Rank #1 - AECOM is ranked #1 for Design Firms. This makes it possible to apply to other design firms. See below in cons (if you join another company, you're ostracized and viewed as an "enemy")

Cons

* Executive management is out of touch. They "sell" the benefits of the company to you but providing a weekly email saying how great the company is. The weekly email was shady at times.

* They want you to bill 100% nonstop. My manager hounded me for billing 98% and 102%, all that matters is 100%, no more, no less. Why? It looks good to the bean counters and your manager is being pushed by executive management.

* The timesheet system is pretty bad, make any change, explain why, for each and every task and every moving time. Load a project, takes about 5 minute to load. Didn't save? Restart a timesheet that should take 5 minutes at max to do, when in reality it takes 30 minutes. You need the time in a certain task for a project, if that project task is overrun [which happens a lot], either file a paperwork that goes up 3 levels of command saying I am moving 1/4 hr to certain task of the same project [excessive paperwork].

* Bad management style. Instead of growing the company, they will just purchase more companies. Google AECOM acquisition and there's enough proof. Why do M&A? Easier for John Dionosio / Executive Board to grow their salary. What happens as a result of M&A? Bad transitions, former operating companies (op-cos) fight for money as they are seen as individual silos [yet we're "one" AECOM].

* Promotions/Career Opportunities: Promotions are nonexistent and if promoted, it takes an excessive long time, [5 years for a junior staff to move up to next junior level]. You can be promoted with no increase in salary yet increase in responsibility. Payraises are miminal, 1-3% at best, on average most get 0-2%.

*Bonuses: Historically many op-cos give bonuses to their staff, to encourage a good morale. Currently, only managers above a certain level are given bonuses. Management really hurt a lot of operating companies and effectively killed morale with this move.

Note: If you leave to a different operating company, different industry, or leave AECOM at all, you are seen as an enemy, not in line with the vision of one AECOM. If you don't say yes to everything, you are seen as an enemy, not in line with the vision of one AECOM. If you don't make 100% billability, you are seen as the enemy [you will mostly be laid off or fired or something in that nature], not in line with the vision of one AECOM. The vision of one AECOM is you're either with us or against us.

Advice to Management

Start giving your employees bonuses and promotions (you're losing your talented staff)
    Start reading these reviews

Stop poaching executive management from other companies, they're not getting us these big contracts
    Stop with the M&A, you're turning into a Tyco / Dennis Kozlowski
    Stop with the employee weekly corporate emails of we're profitable and we're doing very well

2. "OK But it depends who you work with"

Pros

Big company if you like to work in a corporate

Cons

You are lost. Nobody sees you. There is glass ceiling. Working hard and performing well does not translate to growth.

Advice to Management

No advice