AECOM - I would prefer a root canal. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

"I would prefer a root canal."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

I have a job. There's a deli in the building. I have a window.

Cons

Management appears more interested in the appearance of success than actual success. Few people seem to understand how to do their jobs. There are no defined roles and responsibilities and, if there are, they are classified and we're left to figure it out on our own. When you work hard, you get to live another day, but no one recognizes you. Management loves to congratulate itself but the people who actually do the work are forgotten. Bad behavior is rewarded. It's like working on a reality television show. Yes, "The Office" is based on reality.

Advice to Management

Replace them and hire a management team that can make this company successful.

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"Good people, bad company"

Current Employee - Engineer IV in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer IV in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company, lots of interesting work

Cons

Management has a complete and utter disregard for employees, we all just "DLU"s (disposable labor units)

Advice to Management

For a company that essentially makes its money through what its employees do for their clients you should be treating your employees better. (Annoy your employees and you likely annoy your clients)

"Can't teach an old dog, new tricks...new business unit, with old (poor) Senior Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides solid opportunities for new, proactive graduates (undergrad and grad) to learn about the field of international development, as well as gain opportunities to travel and obtain hands-on technical experience

Cons

"Doctors and nurses mentality" to management- not many ways to move up in a technical capacity for a certain demographic; Some key Senior Managers have tendency to talk openly and negatively about subordinates in front of others creating a very hostile work environment. A few of the Senior Management will comfortably throw subordinates "under the table" in situations when they (Senior Managers) are responsible for outcomes. Key senior managers don't have any applied technical expertise and often rely on outside consultants to provide.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is not a basis upon which to promote staff; middle management to be further developed within home office (not just in the field); Develop a process for assessing staff capabilities and performance that is not completely subjective; Middle management should be viewed as allies and not as a threat to Senior Management; Senior Managers to be held responsible for poor performance of a project and/or proposal...blame should not be put on subordinates.