AECOM - Downhill ride... | Glassdoor

"Downhill ride..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were decent and the people in the trenches were great! If the economy turns around, the good people left at AECOM will have the opportunity to do more great things again, as they did before they were sold by another good company.

Cons

After the "buy-out", numbers became much more important than people. Oh, there's a business to be run, but appreciation and recognition for our experience, knowledge, and potential went downhill quickly.

Advice to Management

Good luck! When business is down, it is still best to treat employees with respect. We (the employees) all want the best for our clients AND each other.

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"Waiting in line to die"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get a paycheck every other week. It's enough to survive in Manhattan on.
    The projects are actually decently interesting. I have learned a lot, and gotten some good experience for my resume ;-). And now that my 401k vested, it's time to put that experience to work.

Cons

The company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent.

Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do.

The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money.

Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

Advice to Management

Cash out while you can, and buy that house in Bermuda. This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it.

"Excellent place to work if you are into looking out of the window or into playing lottery, otherwise stay clear."

Current Employee - Current Employee (for now) in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Current Employee (for now) in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

The new downtown Norfolk office is very nice and quiet, except occasional emergency vehicle sirens. Good view from the window. On a clear day you can see very far. On a rainy day not so much, but still the view is good. There is a large selection of work spaces to choose from and plenty of free space. Norfolk office is hiring again...

Cons

...after more than half of employees got laid off earlier this year. A good many people left not waiting to be the next "corporate lottery" winners.

Advice to Management

Enjoy your year-end bonus. Good luck with your layoffs. I hope your firings go really well.