AECOM - Great experience where I got a chance to develop my skills through experience and working with senior personnel. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

"Great experience where I got a chance to develop my skills through experience and working with senior personnel."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Project Engineer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AECOM gives you a chance to work throughout all areas and help develop your skills in a wide variety of engineering areas rather than focus you to one particular group.

Cons

It is a big commercial engineering company that is publicly traded so there is no chance to ever becoming an associate.

Advice to Management

Bonuses should be increased and promotions should reflect personal growth and performance rather than the groups.

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"Good for project management experience, bad for technical experience"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

low stress, high pay, vacation time

Cons

lack of interesting work, difficult to get technical work, sense of apathy in all staff

Advice to Management

none

"Soulless company with cowardly management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on large projects. Have worked with some good people.

Cons

Conflict of interest galore. For example: environmental engineers working side-by-side with mining / oil & gas engineers; the environmental engineers being engaged to provide INDEPENDENT reviews and assessments on the environmental impacts of coal seam gas (i.e. fracking), while their colleagues are separately engaged by oil & gas companies to extract said coal seam gas.

So many processes, so much red tape, very bureaucratic.

Low, low morale. I do not know a single person I work with who likes AECOM, or who could say that they like working for AECOM.

No soul.

Impersonal management. There are no meaningful meetings with upper management, no one is approachable, there is no communication down the chain which is honest and frank. There is no accountability amongst management

No thanks, no reward. There is an expectation from upper management to 'do more with less', while not bringing anything to the table themselves.

False global opportunities for employees. The regions don't know each other, they very rarely deal with each other, and on even rarer occasions are transfers actually granted between different regions for existing employees.

Very American-centric culture and correspondence, despite doing most of their business outside of the US.

Advice to Management

Own up!

Own up to making decisions that affect your employees. Inform your employees of the goings on as though they were human beings and had an intelligence level greater than a tomato.

The whole of the Australia and New Zealand business (around 4,000 people) has just been told that there will be no yearly pay review this year, with many of our employee benefits and rewards cancelled, while we have had to say goodbye to a few hundred colleagues who have just been retrenched (just in time for Christmas). NOT ONE person or group of people has owned up to these decisions, stating only the infamous line "the decision has been made"......made by who? The blame always deferred upwards, by nameless, faceless, cowards.

Also, as advice to AECOM's management, please realise that your employees who are doing the work, delivering projects and making the revenue, don't actually care what the share price is, or how much profit the company as a whole makes. We want to be rewarded for our individual efforts and want to work for a company that cares about more than just the bottom line.

I am voting with my feet.