AECOM - clients are upset and looking to other enginering firms.alot of our expertise has left | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

"clients are upset and looking to other enginering firms.alot of our expertise has left"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

it is a job and fellow employees are good people , the few that are left

Cons

The company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent.

Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do.

The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money.

Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

Advice to Management

This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it. When business is down, it is still best to treat employees with respect. We (the employees) all want the best for our clients AND each other.

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"Great Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to work from home occasionally is a nice perk
    Work life balance is great!

Cons

It's hard to get the educational benefits they claim they offer.
    Layoffs are a monthly happening which is very hard to deal with, causing more work for everyone.
    Low moral in the office culture due to layoffs.

Advice to Management

Limited room to grow and gain professional development.

"Speachless"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Better than being unemployed but just.

Cons

everything else including lack of focus on expertise

Advice to Management

fire yourselves