AECOM - Just a number | Glassdoor

"Just a number"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Interior Designer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Company with hands in many types of construction. Worldwide spread and still growing.

Cons

Lay offs of quality individuals where the less efficient still hold their jobs and don't do them! As a worldwide company one would expect that the company would want to expand from within, instead they are laying people off and expecting many to pick up large workloads meant for more than a few. Little room for growth - The company is too large to grow as an individual. You end up getting pigeon holed into something... and likely wont get out! Merit increases of less than 2% when your reviews are outstanding in insulting and disheartening!

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Us peons are people too and without us you don't have a company. Reward those who do well and address those who don't and find solutions. Don't push problems under the rug and expect things to just go away. Part time staff should not be leads on projects. Address workplace professionalism & etiquette when individuals are outright rude to colleagues and inappropriate.... I could go on.

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"Houston is a sinking ship - don't get on board and if you are on board, get off while there are still some life boats."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, vacation, cool projects, used to be great people there before upper management screwed everything up.

Cons

Upper management has no vision and has no clue what is going on in Houston. With a steady stream of people walking out the door, they couldn't tell us where we were headed, who was leading us there and how we were getting there.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to employees - good luck with the open office concept that will not work. Also, probably shouldn't lay off another 28 year experience project manager on a high profile project the day of the kickoff meeting - doesn't set too good of an example to employees and it doesn't make the client happy either. And you wonder why people are walking out the door? Oh, and an intern quit to go to another company. You know it's bad when the INTERN quits. What was once the great company of "Turner Collie & Braden" has officially collapsed. One more thing - accountability. Under a certain person's watch, the Austin office has prtetty much collapsed, as has San Antonio. The Dallas and Fort Worth offices are on a downward spiral and the Houston office is going down in flames with a mass exodus. AECOM is the laughing stock of Civil Engineering in Houston and it's only going to get worse. However, a certain person is still in charge.

"Productivity"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Wausau, WI

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was great opportunity to work on some very large scale projects. The office I was working in had a great family first culture and were always willing to help.

Cons

You are a number for a District Manager who is no where near your office. If your productivity number is too low you are not given an opportunity to find additional work.

Advice to Management

Be patient with the times that are here. You can't continue to lose both younger and older talent because of a few weeks of low productivity numbers.