AECOM - Decent benefits for an engineering firm | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

"Decent benefits for an engineering firm"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer
Former Employee - Civil Engineer

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For US employees the health and dental benefits are pretty decent for an AE firm.

Cons

It is a typical large corporation where you are not valued as an employee because management is only concerned about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Focus more on what originally made AECOM successful which was engineering not contract management. Increasing your profits and revenue through acquiring companies will never be as beneficial as winning work out right.

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"Disappointing..."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

Their medical benefits are good and the company promotes healthy lifestyle. They also provide tuition reimbursement and online courses for employees to improve and/or acquire new skills.

Cons

There are several cons to working at this company. The one that stood out the most for me as assistant was their lack of respect and appreciation of the administrative staff. They do not believe in investing in there administrative staff; especially, not their assistants.

Advice to Management

There is more to an assistant than getting coffee, photocopying, submitting expenses and travel arrangements. Hello... Get a clue.

"I want to leave."

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers. Flexible schedule (every other Friday off). Corporation has worldwide reach.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. It has been simultaneously comforting and disturbing reading about fellow employees around the country wiith the same experiences. AECOM was built through acquisition of a wide variety of smaller firms, and it shows. Established names went away, and the replacement doesn't fill the void. Even people in my field are not really aware of AECOM, and if they are, it is with negative connotations. Combine this lack of recognition with high overhead costs due to a large, bloated executive management, and this serves to make us unable to compete with smaller more nimble organizations.

As an employee, you need to be constantly worried about being laid off. I've stopped worrying and almost wish they would lay me off. The work has grown less interesting and fraught with burdensome amounts of administration. The answer to all woes is a form. Or, better, a series of forms and processes. This serves to prevent us in focusing on what our primary focus should be: our clients.

I've realized for some time now that there really is no room for growth professionally or salary-wise. Pay increases have been at a minimal 1-3% annually, with very little management discretion. Local managers are told what they can do, and it's never much. All in all, there are many cons and few pros.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you do and actually value your employees. There are so many talented people that either leave voluntarily or are laid off. The value of the organization is in its people, and that is being constantly eroded.