AECOM - Pretty Pleased | Glassdoor

"Pretty Pleased"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at AECOM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love my co-workers, encourage you to ask questions, and management is approachable. The new open concept makes for a more productive work environment.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is how segregated departments are. Most people really don't associate with people not within their immediate sphere of contact. Not sure if this is out of habit, preference or simply not convenient for them.

Advice to Management

I feel like we could put better efforts forward with our recruiting process in order to bring in higher caliber prospects

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

1. "Global construction services company"

Former Employee - Program Controls Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Program Controls Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay compared to industry average;

Cons

Poor communications; difficult career management process

"Glad I Moved On"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance was good with half-day fridays and 5 weeks of PTO after working there 10 years; compensation was OK, but not everyone was as fortunate.

Cons

Management is about the worst on the planet and corporate culture is in chaos--many acquired firms have territorial people who get into everyone's business, step on each other's toes, and generally make life at AECOM difficult. The former ENSR employees are some of the worst, and the ENSR culture is all about stabbing other employees in the back to climb higher.

Senior management is incompetent: a Texas District Manager was let go and then brought back a year later because "oops" senior management decided he actually did need to work for the firm after all. Another senior rainmaker for the firm was let go at the same time, and when the "oops" was discovered, it was too late to get him back, so long-term clients walked. Office managers are disposable at AECOM, and the company ran through a lot of them in my years there; in fact, it was musical chairs for a while with some being cycled in and out of the company like a merry-go-round. Everyone is a number on a spreadsheet and everyone is replaceable at AECOM. It is not about people or relationships.

IT went to crap with outsourcing, although it was already heading that way due to long-term indecision about whether to outsource or not, which killed morale and left tons of open positions with work piling up.

AECOM is about as dysfunctional as a company comes. Management waits until someone gets an offer elsewhere and then counters with a huge raise--not a way to retain staff. The only real ways to advance are either stab someone in the back, or interview with a competitor so that they have to promote you.

And the biggest problem....MICROMANAGEMENT FROM HELL. AECOM thinks it should rival the U.S. Government in bureaucracy and control. Only three people in all of Texas (more than 1,000 employees) could sign a contract, no matter how small.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the clueless bankers and worthless MBAs that are trying to run an engineering and technical firm. It was a different world when real engineers and scientists ran AECOM--back in the Dick Newman days. Do a better job of stamping out the poor cultures brought in with bad acquisitions like ENSR.