AIG - Pay below par | Glassdoor

"Pay below par"

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst
Former Employee - Information Security Analyst

Pros

The people are generally really good folks trying to do a good job. Depending on the department, it can be rather a family-like atmosphere. However, some other parts of the company are extremely uptight and inflexible. There is potential for the person who can learn and play the political game well.

Cons

Technical skills are not well rewarded and any job outside of the NYC area is paid at less than equivalent jobs in the same market. Getting chewed out by my neighbors when the market imploded and having some of them resent me just for working there for 8 months was extremely trying.

Advice to Management

I had excellent reviews and only got a 2% raise...that is why I did not stay around. My compensation was below normal even in my local market for my skills. Just because I am not in NYC does not automatically devalue my skills and work. And yes, sometimes it is correct for the technical folks to make more than their management when the skills demand it. It should not be a requirement to grovel for professional training - yet it is frequently the case.

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

"A little chaotic, lots of opportunity to help effect meaningful change in the current environment."

Pros

Current opportunity - the industry and the company are in a period of rapid change, investing in infrastructure, etc., so creativity and outspokenness are more valued than they once were. The culture is changing.

Cons

The company's reputation, and the current governmental ownership, are a little tough to deal with these days - especially when most of us had zero to do with the bad press AIG has received, and because AIG is paying the government back for the stupid risks taken by other companies (like Goldman Sachs, Barclay's, Deutchebank, Societe General. et al). Maddening some days, and it definitely means that salary growth is under a lot more scrutiny...at least for now.

Advice to Management

Hire some HR professionals - the current group is shoddy in their approach, is horrendous about meaningful and honest communication, and is wholly inaccessible.

2. "Neutral"

Pros

80% of the time you work 9 - 6pm.
    Not stressful work.
    Managers are good people to work with on a day to day basis.

Cons

No clear advancement schedules or opportunities.
    Not clear guidance in performance.
    Promotions are few and far between.

Advice to Management

Set clear guidance for Promotion Schedules.