AIG - Great place to learn - sadly the financial crisis may make other options more appealing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AIG

"Great place to learn - sadly the financial crisis may make other options more appealing."

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

AIG is about the best company in the industry to learn and gain exposure to challenges beyond your expectations. The challenges will guarantee you success at any other company in the industry.

Cons

Regretfully, AIG has been hit hard by the financial crisis in the U.S. The P&C insurance companies have performed well over the years, but, the challenges that face the parent company and financial exposures may be difficult to overcome. This places a tremendous amount of pressure on all employees. The environment was demanding and challenging before the current financial issues and it has only escalated now.

Advice to Management

Be completely honest with your employees. The business is based on the personal relationships of front lines mangers and they need to know exactly what is going on. The managers communicate directly with the clients and control the revenue of the P&C "crown jewels" of the organization. .

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

1. "Risky, but possibly worth it"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

When I signed on, the best reason to work there was name recognition and scope of projects. (Obviously, I managed to join at exactly the wrong time, as the collapse happened halfway through my contract.) The people I worked with generally seemed competent and professional, and I know that in our department our managers were really working to both protect and advance us -- circumstances just got in the way. The work I did at AIG set me up brilliantly for my next job.

Cons

The current rending of the company limb from limb is a minus. I wouldn't dissuade people from joining now, because I think that things are beginning to get sorted out and the next few quarters will be better, but also be ready for some dead projects. When I left, I went through my folders and realized that every single one of my recent projects had stalled and died. If you think you can power through a dead zone for a while until the company finds its footing again, go for it. Another downside is the overuse of contractors: you never know who you're going to get on the other end of the phone, week to week, and there were some projects when all four of us at the table had only been at the company for a few weeks -- not good.

Advice to Management

More salaried workers! Get a skeleton team, and THEN flesh out with contractors. Contractors alone can't form a backbone, because they keep leaving and knowledge and routines are lost with them.

"Take it with a grain of salt and decide for yourself."

Former Employee - Senior Contact Center Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Contact Center Specialist in Lincoln, NE

Pros

In my opinion, the best reason to work for Allstate would be the benefits. The profit sharing plan within the company is a very good one, granted to make it really pay off, you need to do your homework and invest wisely. Also they offer a wide variety of options to choose from when it comes to medical insurance, so that you can tailor the amount of coverage you need to YOURS and your family's needs, instead of just shoving everyone under one blanket plan. Dental, Vision, Life Insurance for both you and your dependents, Long Term Disability, Group Legal and the ability to purchase additional days off are done yearly. They also offer a pretty competitive Paid Time Off (PTO) Bank, depending upon the amount of time you have been employed there. PTO combines both your vacation days and sick days, which of course must be taken into account.

Another great thing about Allstate, while morale may not be up to par, the people that work within the company really are the best part of working there. Having worked in several different departments myself, I can tell you that regardless of outside factors, the people I have worked with have been top notch and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Unfortunately, when I first started working there, I would have said that there were very few downsides to working there, however as the years passed, I was able to say this less and less. One of the major downsides for working at Allstate is that there are far too many hands in the cookie jar in far too many places, which doesn't leave much room for things to operate very efficiently. It is advertised within the company that the different departments within the company are in place to ensure that things happen more efficiently, however that leaves far too many people depending on other departments to do their job or answer any questions you may have for this to work properly. And it seems that while the company is so large, there are never enough people to allow for people to both do their job and answer the questions that need to be answered. So due to this, corners are cut, things are not properly documented, things are rushed through too quickly and end up having to be sent back due to errors and it creates mass chaos for not only that one person who cut that corner, but for everyone down the line that was/is waiting on them not now correct their error.

Another thing that does not help is the time restraints that are put on processing items. The managers in these areas have lofty ideas as far as how long the turn around time should be for different items to be processed, however when there are hiring freezes, cutbacks in employees and overtime is disallowed, it makes these turn around times almost impossible to achieve. When I first started with the company, the idea was to 'exceed the expectation' and the turn around times in processing areas was a reasonable amount of time, but was almost always exceeded, leaving our customers and agents both very pleased and the employees content. Then when competitive strategy came into play and it was suddenly more about beating out the processing times of other companies, suddenly you are dealing with angry customers, agents an other in-house employees, because you aren't able to complete things in the time frame that the company as a whole is now advertising, leaving the employees completely deflated, frustrated and feeling like they can never catch up.

When it comes to career opportunities, currently, there really are none in most area's due to hiring freezes. Which bring up another issue... OUTSOURCING!! While I completely understand that with the economy the way it is today, it is much cheaper and cost effective to pay someone in another country to do the same jobs that you are currently having to pay competitive salaries and wages for... HOW IS THIS HELPING THE US ECONOMY! By them taking away all of these jobs they are furthering the economy in other countries and moving several hundred 'valued employees' into the unemployment line looking for other work with potentially a limited skill set, depending on what area's of the company they have worked and what opportunities have been available to them.

Personally, I currently could not recommend Allstate and it's affiliates as a good/sound place to work, because you really never know if the job you have is a secure one, or if next week they'll tell you that they have decided to 'outsource' your job.

Advice to Management

My advice to Senior Management, place more value in your employees than you do in the almighty dollar.

When your employees tell you that something doesn't work, listen to them and see if there is something that can be done about it, instead of just writing it down and filing it away to deal with at a later time.

Your employees are not only your backbone, but one of your best sources of word-of-mouth advertising. Keep them happy and odds are they will talk up your company every chance that they get and others will take that into advisement when considering purchasing the 'optional' services and products that your company provides, even if it is at a slightly higher cost sometimes.

And don't forget, Allstate is a US born company. Keep it that way.