AIG - average job | Glassdoor

"average job"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at AIG as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

nice co workers, decent managers, nice big cubes, low stress at work, free parking for employees, contractors need to pay 15-30 dollars per month for parking

Cons

I was hired as contractor, and they gave me some new project that can be done by 5 people. The manager doesn't even know what the project is, I just had to volunteer for that project. Well, I am fine with that but I am expecting a full time for giving such a role, but looks like they don't want to give and use me to full extent. I am thinking of moving to other job in that case. Pay is not that great. One of my manager is a gossiper. He gossips about his own team members!

Advice to Management

Reward hard working people. Some of your employees are so worthless, contractors are fast and hard working but management doesn't see that. Look who really is working hard, appreciate them even if they are contractors. Some people are stuck in the company for 17-25 years because it is so low stressful job for them. They are making contractors doing all the work.

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

1. "Overall Solid Place to Work"

Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to maneuver around the company. There are so many different avenues and directions in which you can take your career.

Cons

Increasingly high targets that must be met year after year. You sometimes feel as though you are in a meat grinder. No matter how well last month was, you're expected to grow it exponentially the following month. And this never stops.

Advice to Management

Hire more motivating managers; managers who are focused on doing a great job rather than trying not to lose their jobs.

"Dysfunctional place to spend eight hours."

Current Employee - ITS in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - ITS in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home capabilities - sometimes

Cons

Very low pay compared to the rest of the market. Insane secretive management politics created by and fostered by upper management. They do not consider the employee working 60 hours a week. They also treat their contractors as second class citizens. As a FT employee, seeing how the contractors are purposely kept out of events/communication is disgusting. The culture here is beyond dysfunctional. If you are not a Manager/Director, you are not even spoken to...no "good morning" not even a "hello" by upper management. The workers here are treated as nothing more than a replaceable number. There is a high volume of turnover from contractors. It is also not uncommon for many of these contractors to be terminated without notice. It is a slimy low down dirty dog fight of a culture. Sr management holds an annual "come and see how the rich and Allstate famous live" type of tour. Cookies and juice are offered as you, the underpaid, get to tour their floor and see their offices & conference rooms. Jeans are only allowed every few weeks...for a price. Facilities are beyond disgusting (think NY subway smell). Recently, an offshore onsite coordinator (contractor) was let go and while discussing what must have been a very hard decision to make (dealing with a persons job & all), one of the directors said "welcome to America". This company has absolutely no morals, no compassion and absolutely no care or concern for either their FT employees and most certainly not their disposable contractors.

Advice to Management

Sr management should certainly pay attention to what is happening on every single floor (besides the golden 8th floor of course). The morale will never ever change unless the management is completely removed. Cronyism is alive and well in IT. The way the employees are spoken to & treated is absolutely despicable and you all should be ashamed of yourselves.